My little 'roofers'. We did accomplish several things we'd hoped to get done over the Spring / Summer. Some things were done in just a 'to get by' fashion. Like the wood shed. Fire wood needs to be under cover and I ended up pounding something together with the help of my oldest son. We ended up storing the bikes and a lawn mower in there as well. I picked up one of these 'Home Depot' 10X10 sheds. (Not for the firewood. ) S'posed to be easy to put together. All parts precut and ready to put up. Yeah... not so much. It didn't end up being quite so easy - but in the end, here it is. Ready for tools.
I'm keeping everything lumped together behind the house. Kid zone, dog yard, wood shed, tool shed. Easy access and out of view from the road.
I was gone one day and came home to a little garden! All enclosed with a cute little fence. The kids got busy and did it all themselves. What great kids! I helped fill in the boxes with dirt and planted them. Not much for this year but our new mantra is "Next year will be better!"
The kids did pool their birthday money and buy themselves a pool. They got lots of use out of it this summer too!
Now that I know things like - our growing season is June - October and that our soil is primarily clay - with no rocks! And that having your home plopped down in the middle of a pasture means you'll be fighting wars against grass... next year's garden WILL be better! At least it's started and protected from dogs and deer.
Plastic and gravel help me win the fight against grass! Oh, and a kid that loves the weedeater and lawn mower.
My sis in law stopped by from east of the mountains ~ so I put her to work painting my shed!
One thing I am thrilled about is my Grandpa's dahlias came back in full force! Better than ever and kept on blooming like crazy until the 1st of November! We planted them all behind the chicken house wall.
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










2 comments:
You really accomplished a lot this year in and around your new home ! Good thing the house itself is a beautiful new home ( I love your house ) with nothing needed inside except a loving family.
Grandpa's dahlias blooming like they did makes my heart glad.
Love the post. But my favorite part is that you say "Next year will be better." Bet and I say it so often when discussing how this or that is going, that now all we have to say is, "Next year." at the end and we know. We've been wanting to put together a "Next Year Book" Filled with the things we plan on doing better, bigger, longer, that sort of stuff, with when we made the remark. And how fun to go back and make a note of when it was actually accomplished.
All the work you have done, great job! Everyone!
Post a Comment