" CHRISTMAS NIGHT" A poem by Oliver Goldsmith.
I open the door with stealth and care,
Scarcely knowing what I'll find there.
To lift my heart as I trace with joy,
The treasured trail of my little boy.
His tiny dog stands guard at the stair,
Minus its tail and part of its hair;
And off in the dim-lit corner hall,
Has rolled his big red rubber ball;
And Venetian blinds hang just the way,
He left them at the close of day.
Houses of blocks are what I meet,
Constructed right on my favorite seat;
And here's his bib with a generous trace,
Of a lovable smear from his happy face.
Things are upset wherever he's been,
And tomorrow he'll start all over again.
But now, upstairs, his toddling charms,
Are safely tucked in the sandman's arms.
God, let him continue to spread disarray;
And thanks for touching our home this way.

Our Little J fits this poem to a 'T'. I found this poem in one of my 'Ideals' Christmas magazines.
9 comments:
That is a precious poem and the pictures do FIT TO A T!!! Thank you for putting a smile on my face tonight! Merry Christmas to you all!
What a beautiful poem. I've never heard it before.
Debbie
Oh my what a cutie he is!! Wonderful, wonderful photos, Autumn. The poem did go with them very well. My sons are 15 and 20 years old and they still continue to "spread their disarray" around the house!! HA! :D
/tear What a sweet post...love it!
Oh so true and heart touching! Little J and his brother CT really do embody everything this poem says. Aren't we blessed? I know you don't need me to say "cherish these days and remember and record as much as you're able", these precious days are so swiftly fleeting by. Soon, very soon YOU will be the Grandmother with tears in her eyes at the sight of and hug from your grandchild.
Sweet photos and the poem is pefect! So cute!
That is a sweet poem and even sweeter pics!
it makes me happy just to look at your posts, Autumn. So, joyful for you and Tom. Getting to see your little family growing right in front of our eyes.
Audrey
Thank you for this, Autumn. I still find, after 9 months of parenting a toddling two year old boy, that I often expect him to fit into the mold of my little girlie girl. What a beautiful reminder of the unique blessing that little boys are, especially from someone who is clearly a wonderful mommy. :-)
Post a Comment