Monday, February 8, 2010

Good Idea, Bad Idea

On Friday we took Spike the cat and Tinsel the dog into the vet to get their rabies shots, other shots and neutered. It's somewhat amusing to hear the vet's receptionist call over the intercom " Feline Spike and Canine Tinsel. " Tinsel went along willingly, tail wagging and doesn't seem to even notice he had anything done other than having to go for a rough car ride. ( Not his favorite as I've mentioned before. ) Spike on the other hand, thinks having the name of a dog means he should behave like a dog. This is where our "Good Idea, Bad Idea" title comes in. We used to watch a cartoon episode with this title on the animated series " Animaniacs". I've put some of those clips at the end of this post. Our good idea for the day was taking our animals in to be neutered and vaccinated. Our bad idea was actually someone else' s not so bright idea to create 'Pet carriers' out of cardboard! You know the ones ....
Yes, these ones. The ones that are being sold at the vet clinic for $ 8.95 each. We don't transport our cats often so have never invested in a cat carrier and had this one sitting in the garage for the past few years. Hey, we'll just close ol Spikarino in this carrier for the ride over we thought. This is when Spike proved he deserved a dog like name and proved these carriers were not made for cats. In fact, I'm not sure what type of pets these carriers were intended for? Hmmm....
Here's what happened to ours in the first 10 minutes of the 45 minute car ride to the vet. I was driving so all I heard was 'Riiiipppp, Shhhhhhhrrrreeddddd, Teaaaarrrrr, ' then, 'Aaaoowwwww!' ( that cry came from KN as she was trying to hold Spike in the shredded cardboard mess. ) I had to pull over in the Kmart parking lot and grab the bath towel I'd brought along for Tinsel. We tightly wrapped the box with the towel and both girls held it down for the rest of the drive. I apologized to the vet tech for the messed up carrier. She laughed and said in a baby voice " Oh - you were a bad kitty and made a mess didn't you?!" So, I'm left wondering ~ I know from experience that a bunny will shred cardboard if left with some for any matter of minutes, new puppies can't hold their bladder so would soak through the cardboard, any type of poultry would also soak through with their constant pooping, a full grown dog would be too large .... so what were these carriers intended to carry?
We stopped off at my mom's house on our way to pick our animals back up and borrowed Mom's small animal crate and both animals are resting comfortably.

10 comments:

Connie said...

Oh my! Spike certainly expressed his opinion and let you know what he thought of that carrier, didn't he? YIKES! HA! Glad to hear things went well at the vets for Spike and Tinsel otherwise.

Susie said...

Cute cartoon at the end.

Looks like Spike didn't like his carrier too much. He must have some sharp toenails.

Glad both animals are doing good tonight.

KathyB. said...

I am sorry I had to laugh when you told me about Spike and his crate on the phone. Poor KN and MN trying to hold a crate together with a towel and a scratching panicked cat trying to break out for the next 30 minutes of the trip...that must have seemed like a LONG drive for them and the cat. Thankfully this had a happy ending.

Nancy M. said...

He really didn't like that carrier! I guess it's only meant to be used for a a few minutes?

EBet said...

I thought this post was hilarious, only because that's happened to me before! The clip at the end, funny! funny! funny! Mike and Michelle have an orange tabby and one of its many names is Spike, just thought that was an interesting piece of info.

LindaSue said...

We have metal or fiberglass crates for our animals - that cardboard wouldn't last a New York Minute with my crazy crew. Thank goodness your children are such good helpers!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in the 2nd grade, Mom took our cat to the vet in the trunk of the car because she was so afraid of cats. Next thing we knew, this furry paw was sticking through the back seat and the back of the seat . . . looked like a werewolf arm and it scared us! Mom would have appreciated even a cardboard box at that time with screaming daughters in the backseat!

Anonymous said...

Oh what an experience! We've had a few wild rides to the vet ourselves. Glad they both are doing ok. I want to wish you and your family a very nice Valentine's Day weekend.

Jean Olson said...

I've used those cardboard carriers before and NEVER had one end up lookin like that. They have gotten peed on though which is not easy to deal with.

Lanny said...

Very very funny story, (only because no one got seriously hurt, hopefully KN is resting as comfortably as the intended victims of the day!) And cute clip.