
Without sounding too much like an advertisement, I wanted to tell you about this great little toy shop that recently came to our neighborhood. It's called McKenna School Supply and Toy Shoppe and is located right next to the McKenna Post office and the Liquid Soul coffee shop. I had no idea this toy shop was there until one of my Aunties took her granddaughter shopping there and then told me all about it! This shop sells wooden learning toys, puzzles, puppets, arts and crafts, science kits and then a whole lot of school work books and supplies. Since this was just down the road from our house - I took my kids to check it out right before Little J's birthday in July. We bought these little wooden trucks that come apart into large pieces which he can then figure out how to put back together.

His ABSOLUTE favorite toy at the moment is the wooden hop along frog that my parents bought him from this toy shop. We'd spotted it while there and mentioned to them that he might like it. He plays with this frog EVERY day, pulling it off the shelf and all over the house, like a kid might drag along a favorite blankie.

I stopped in today since I was needing a couple of work books for when the kids start back to doing actual school work next week. My husband and I like to have a few structured work books to help guide the kids along in their basic learning skills. This also helps me not to forget teaching some things that might otherwise slip my mind but are still important to learn. I was really happy when I saw the selection at this little toy shop as a lot of the curriculum they sell is Bible based and they were also decently priced compared to the homeschool curriculum publishers I'd purchased from before and even Walmart which is where I get many of the 'write all over' work books for the kids. This toy shop has had a rough go of it - they opened up a year ago and since they put all of their money into actual merchandise and building rental, they didn't have any left for advertising so no on really knows this shop is there! They've had to go by word of mouth. I was really happy to know they were so close by since if we want to shop at any type of learning toy store we have to drive an hour's distance. As we shopped there today, the owner informed us that sadly, they aren't able to keep up with the cost of keeping the store so they'll be closing their doors for good next Friday, September 25th. Darn! I'd hoped to shop there for Christmas toys and more school books. I guess I'll have to quickly make up my list of things to buy and head back over this week. Everything will be 10 - 15% off! If you live in my area and are in the market for some great learning toys, wood toys, instruments, puzzles, puppets, bug boxes, school supplies, art kits, science kits and more - get over to the McKenna School Supply store before the 25th!
5 comments:
I hate when that happens. It seems like you finally find something good and close by so you can finally save some money then they can't quite make a go of it. One reason I am loving living in St. Cloud..close to a lot of things.
Such a cute picture of Little J! Looks like he is having a blast with that frog. We have a store similar to this here. It sells lots of fun, educational toys and supplies for home schooling.
This sounds like a very unique store. (I also laughed at the 'Liquid Soul' coffee shop.) Too bad that so many of these small businesses are being forced to close their doors because of economy. Christians should shop at stores like these to encourage their existence instead of just shopping where it's cheap.
This would insure our source of good teaching tools.We had a Bible store in the town where I live when we first moved here. They closed and now we have to drive to a larger city to visit such a store. I'll admit it; I just order on the internet now. We were a homeschool family from grades 5-12 and would do it again. I miss that time with my kids. I'm thankful that my daughters plan to homeschool their kids if the Lord blesses them with children.
I wish every Christian mom realized what a critical decision it is to take responsibility for their children's education. The more I become aware of the teachings in public school and what is on the rosters to come, I wonder how a discerning parent could send their kids there.
I really hate how the press uses the term 'homeschooled' when they report a story about a disfunctional abusive family whose children have been kept at home. That is a criminal investigation; not a story of a 'homeschool' family. Your children are obviously homeschooled in the Lord.
They have the sweetest little smiles I've seen on anyone's kids.I am so thankful for your testimony and I know your mom is too.
God Bless your family as you do what is right!
Debbie
It's sad they are closing! I love wooden toys and homeschool helps!
Boy does that make us happy to see Little J happily pulling that frog around! It is fun to watch too.
I am disappointed to see the store fold too, I need to buy some Christmas presents next week I guess.
Post a Comment