I had the pleasure of taking my kids out to see the new 3D movie " Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" ! We enjoyed the movie. It was not much like the book with the same title but still entertaining and I was laughing at many parts. When I was little there were three books I'd always check out at the library every time my mom would take us there. 1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. 2. Amelia Bedelia books and 3. Cake decorating books. I LOVED looking at the big color photos of cakes made to look like hamburgers or bowls of spaghetti or castles ....
My grandma gave me a cake decorating kit for my 12th or 13th birthday and I had fun messing around with that.
I have always baked my children's birthday cakes and find it so much fun to come up with ways to decorate and create things out of frosting. I too, always ask them what color cake they want and what theme they'd like for their cake. Then I see what I can come up with. This dinosaur land cake for CT's 4th birthday is one of my favorites. The photo is blurry but it had a volcano with lava flowing out, a palm tree, toy dinos and a waterfall.
Below is her 5th birthday cake. She wanted yellow everything. I make it a point to make their cakes for 3 reasons, 1. Several people in the family can't have any dairy products and you won't find a cake in a bakery without some type of milk or butter in it - so I have to make a cake from scratch to ensure there won't be any dairy in it. 2. It's tradition - my mom always did it for us, it never occurred to me to not make a birthday cake for my kids. 3. It's WAYYYYYYY cheaper!
The girls and I were invited to a birthday party for my cousin Michelle's daughter last Sunday. I don't get to visit with Michelle often enough as it is a 2 hour drive to her house from mine but I really wanted to make a point to get out there and see her newest baby and have a visit! People, including my husband, have always said Michelle and I look alike and have the same mannerisms. I've never thought we look much alike - I would love to look like her - she's a beautiful blond. We did go to the same orthodontist which is probably why our mouth and teeth turned out so similar and we are cousin's after all. I arrived at her lovely home on Sunday and going into the kitchen, saw the fantastic " Littlest Petshop" themed cake sitting on the counter. Assuming it was store bought, I was completely surprised when her husband told us Michelle had baked and decorated it all herself that morning! I was truly impressed and even more pleased to find there was someone else out there - related to me even - that made their child's cake and had so much fun decorating it!! I WISH I'd brought my camera and taken a photo of it. Then, after the party ended and guests had left, Michelle invited us to stay and eat dinner with them. She'd made taco soup. AH! Another thing we have in common! I make taco soup all the time. We love taco soup! Of course I would stay! Her taco soup was delicious.
The girls and I were invited to a birthday party for my cousin Michelle's daughter last Sunday. I don't get to visit with Michelle often enough as it is a 2 hour drive to her house from mine but I really wanted to make a point to get out there and see her newest baby and have a visit! People, including my husband, have always said Michelle and I look alike and have the same mannerisms. I've never thought we look much alike - I would love to look like her - she's a beautiful blond. We did go to the same orthodontist which is probably why our mouth and teeth turned out so similar and we are cousin's after all. I arrived at her lovely home on Sunday and going into the kitchen, saw the fantastic " Littlest Petshop" themed cake sitting on the counter. Assuming it was store bought, I was completely surprised when her husband told us Michelle had baked and decorated it all herself that morning! I was truly impressed and even more pleased to find there was someone else out there - related to me even - that made their child's cake and had so much fun decorating it!! I WISH I'd brought my camera and taken a photo of it. Then, after the party ended and guests had left, Michelle invited us to stay and eat dinner with them. She'd made taco soup. AH! Another thing we have in common! I make taco soup all the time. We love taco soup! Of course I would stay! Her taco soup was delicious.I guess we are more alike than I'd thought. I also noticed some little things that she would worry about or obsess over while trying to entertain that were so much like myself. It's always nice to find you're not alone out there!
( CT's John Deere tractor cake. ) So hey, next time you're about to run out to get that $30 cake from the bakery - think how much fun it might be to mix up your own cake ( sure, you can use a box mix! ) and then blend the food colorings - any colors you like, create your own piping bags out of zip lock bags and go to town! Top it with your child's favorite toy or a new store bought toy to keep after the blowing out of candles and make a wonderful memory for your loved one!
( CT's John Deere tractor cake. ) So hey, next time you're about to run out to get that $30 cake from the bakery - think how much fun it might be to mix up your own cake ( sure, you can use a box mix! ) and then blend the food colorings - any colors you like, create your own piping bags out of zip lock bags and go to town! Top it with your child's favorite toy or a new store bought toy to keep after the blowing out of candles and make a wonderful memory for your loved one!
12 comments:
You have made some extraordinary birthday cakes! Just think, one day your children will be making cakes for their children!
My mama always made Lemon cake for my bday when I was young. I actually found her handwritten recipe for that cake tucked in an old book recently!
A.Joy, you're such a great mom...how I wish I was as talented as you...maybe once I get a working oven I can try to make some cakes in my home for my lovies. :) Every cake and cupcake you make is fabulous!
Love the new header of Tater behind a spider web. A beautifully made spider web!
The cake memories and ponderings are very special to me, thanks for writing this post that brings back sweet memories, and tells of the memories you are making with my grandchildren to hopefully be passed down to theirs.
I am so happy to hear about niece Michelle, she is very sweet and a good mommy!
Oh what great fun! My mom always made all of our cakes and I made (still make) cakes for my kids too. The purple coconut with strawberries made me smile. :D
You're very talented! Those are some cool cakes! Usually I talk my best friend into making one for my kids. I have no talent, lol!
These are really cute cakes. I enjoy making cakes myself but I don't do much decorating. Now eating?!?! That I'm good at! hehe!
Great post. You're right, more people should try their hand at making their own cakes. Practicing isn't all that painful either.
Anna and I like your new header picture.
And thanks for the movie review, I was wondering if it was ok to go see. Now maybe after the party and company and we slow down a little we will take in a silly afternoon.
By the way, my mom wasn't a "talented" artistic person but she always made our cakes. Sometimes they looked like your purple coconut one, those were her most creative. But often they were just in a 9x13 pan, frosted and with candles. I loved them. When I was sixteen my mom picked up a birthday cake from the bakery. Quite frankly, I felt a great loss on that birthday.
Autumn, go get your broom and try to make it stand up on it's own. It's still working today. It has something to do with it being Autumnal Equinox. Sometimes it takes a few minutes but it usually works.
Hooray for "from scratch" baking - it just tastes different and you can vary things to suit the person. Storebought cakes are far too expensive and usually the decorations are not so appealing.There is even a website for Cake Wrecks -http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/08/butterfly-misses.html
I'm sure you have the recipe but I have a no dairy chocolate cake and also a lemon one that is really good - email me if you want them. Nice visit with your cousin too - isn't family a blessing?
Is there anything you can't do? You're such an awesome mom, Autumn!!! I love the cakes!!! I, like you, loved Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and the Amelia books! I'm sort of bummed to hear the movie isn't like the book, but happy to hear it's good anyway. :) Hugs from us!
What fabulous creations ... they are darling & any child would love them!
Have a great week. TTFN ~Marydon
Post a Comment