
I have something to be thankful for! We've reached the 18 month milestone with our Little J without serious injury or mishap to his little boisterous self! He had his 18 month old check up with our pediatrician and here are his stats: He's reached 31 1/2 inches tall which is the 75th percentile. (Wow, this is a huge thing for our children as they all run extremely small. ) His head circumference was also in the 75th percentile. He weighs 21 lbs. That is the 3rd percentile. So, weight wise he's right along side his sisters when they were his age. This is a kid that eats on the run. Literally, as my mother in law was able to experience, Little J ran his 10 or so laps around our kitchen island every morning. Just for the sheer joy of running. He has little interest in eating sitting down for very long. We try as hard as we can to pack it in at each meal while we all sit at the table - then he's off! So, I always keep a bowl of healthy, toddler friendly snacks and a cup of water sitting on the coffee table for him to eat as he's busy with whatever has caught his fancy that moment.

Little J wants very much to be like Daddy. He put Daddy's work shirt on one day and wouldn't let us take it off. I've laminated and taped this photo inside my husband's lunch box so he can see it every day as he eats his lunch.

We got off pretty easy with our first three kids. They're all very much like my husband and I were as children. Hanging onto our parents' pant legs whenever we were out in public. Never talking to strangers. I'm still not a risk taker, I even joke that I still take my mom along with me whenever possible so she can break the ice and be the one to talk to people. It's a stretch to even get our oldest three to hug their relatives when greeting them. That's just so out of their comfort zone. Then.... we had Little J. He doesn't know what a comfort zone is. In fact, he's rather a 'space invader.' This has been an exciting and wonderful thing for us to witness, especially when visiting my grandparents - as Little J reaches with outstretched arms to my grandpa all on his own. Or jumps up into the lap of our brother in law - the same one the other three kids have always been so timid around because their uncle is a very tall and quiet man. Our brother in law then engages Little J in a game of ' Beeping ' his nose.

Little J also has no fear when it comes to climbing or finding something to get up on to reach things high up, things like the knife drawer, the DVD player, the telephone etc... We found him eating out of the garbage can today. At least it was a not completely empty jello cup! Little J has no fear with the dogs and will tackle Tinsel, wrestle around on the floor with him and share chew toys. He impressed our pediatrician with his abilities and she said he is at the level of a 2 year old both physically and verbally. She said she used to have keep at least 2 feet behind her little boy at all times during this age because he was so curious and adventurous and I'm learning I'll have to do the same with Little J. He's not usually trying to be naughty, he just wants to try everything out and is not afraid to do so. 'Hey! There's a pond! Let's go jump in!' 'Look at that doggie water dish! I should play in that!' ' Is that a decorative glass ball? It must be for throwing.' 'I'm so glad you have your silverware in a drawer I can reach so I can play with it!' 'Wow! Stairs!' 'Outlets ~ without covers! Perfect size for my finger!'

I'm realizing it's going to be a couple of years before I'm going to be able to participate in discussion during our church gatherings, or sit and fully visit with friends and family who are kind enough to invite us into their home. I also realize this is pretty normal behavior for little boys and most mommies go through this - I just haven't had to yet. I didn't have to with the other three kids since they rarely left my lap when away from home. They'd never think of exploring anyone elses home or even getting down from a dining chair without help. I realize they were not the norm. We just had it kind of easy. As our pediatrician put it - I should be very thankful I have 3 older ones to help keep this little guy in line!

I'm thankful Little J has a wonderful Daddy who comes home every day after work and can give him that attention little boys need wrestling, grunting, belching, batting and roughhousing. I'm so happy Little J has CT for a big brother to look up to. Little J already looks up to him as his hero. One of Little J's favorite things to play is Tiger. I snapped these photos today as he was 'attacking' his daddy, 'Rrrrawwrrring' and chomping and climbing at 'Daddy's' face. Daddy can't help from laughing and growling and chomping back.

'Arrrggghhhh' he says, just the way a puppy or cub would play with their father. Then he pulls daddy in for a big squeeze. It warms our hearts the way he's not afraid to show his love. He's always full of big hugs and deep , hearty laughs. We know we're in for a great adventure in raising this little one and we'll try to the best of our ability to allow him to explore the world around him safely and with discipline!

Here is a rough list of his latest vocabulary: Teeth, Tin Tin, Tater, Dude, Turtle, Rice, Bite, Pillow, Daddy, Mama, Nana, Papa, Kitty, Duck, Chicken, Hi, Bye Bye, Rock, Dog, ( most animal sounds. ) Truck, Hot, Spoon, Diaper, Boot, Eye, Hat.
5 comments:
Well...I feel a little better now. I have Hunter for the next couple of weeks and he DOES NOT sit still for a minute..Michael and Mary were on the go but nothing like this Hunter and Little J have a lot in common...too bad they don't live closer to each other Hunter could really use a good playmate.
Awesome post! And yes, you should be thankful of the quietness of those first three, I was four for four with rambunctious girls that could out do most boys with their inquisitiveness, and shear jiggliness. Your mom has a busted sponge ware bowl thanks to my bouncy girls! Its a good thing she likes them (my girls that is not busted bowls)!
What a precious and wonderful post! Little J is indeed every thing you wrote and then some. Little J is just like your brother Daniel~ And having your 2 brothers AFTER you was an eye-opener for me, you were like your 3 older children. Isn't God an awesome Creator? He has made each of us so wonderfully different and yet so precious in His eyes.
What a wonderful post, Autumn. I love all the happy, loving photos. My favorite is the next to the last photo of Little J hugging his Dad. My two were both runabouts when they were little. Very exhausting as a mom, but very rewarding.
I love this post! Little J is such a joyful addition to your already amazing family! I appreciate you sharing the challenges you've experienced with him being "all boy," but your comments give me hope! Thanks for sharing your wonderful family with us!
Post a Comment