Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fair Games

There are always lots of games to join in on at the fair. My kids are so shy that I usually have to do quite a bit of coaxing to get them to participate but this year MN was big enough to handle herself in the penny / candy scramble.
Look at all that candy just waiting to be grabbed. MN came out of it with a load of candy to bring home and Little J got into this one too and was happy with his several pieces.
This is the first line up for the three legged race. There was a huge turnout at the community fair this year! I thought with everyone's gardens not doing so well and the economy and all that the numbers might not be too high for entries and the general public attending but Wow! Both days seemed to be crowded with people. There were 3 line ups like this in the horse arena for the three legged race.
Here CT stands waiting with his friend Aidan for their turn to race. Their ribbon that tied their legs together ended up breaking half way down the arena so they had to leave the race. Oh well, all in good fun.
KN and her friend Abby are ready to go and they made it there and back in a timely manner.
Abby is my good friend's daughter. Abby and KN are the same age and Abby's mom and I are the same age. I met her mom when we were 10 years old. Both of us were showing rabbits at our county fair. We've been "fair friends" ever since and see each other every year at the fair. It's fun now to have kids the same age who enjoy seeing and playing with each other at the fair!
I've been coming to this little fair since I was 11 years old and whether I was showing my animals, volunteering to work or judge there or bringing my kids to participate, I have only missed one year - 2008, when I had our 4th baby and just couldn't get over there. It's like a neighborhood block party for country folk. All of the people helping out, setting up, having fun, taking down and working hard here are our neighbors or live very close by. ( many live on our little dirt road. ) I'm happy my kids and husband enjoy taking part in something I grew up enjoying and coming up at the end of this month my oldest son will do something else I grew up doing - working / helping at the state fair with my mom! Oooooooh, I can smell those scones and the smoking barbecue pit now! Lucky kid.

5 comments:

Connie said...

The fair can be an exciting time for kids. I can remember my boys participating in the candy scramble and other games at the fair. Looks like your kids are having fun. :)

Susie said...

Too bad you don't see more of these type fairs. Looks like your kids enjoyed themselves. I know I would have.

KathyB. said...

Lacamas is a wonderful fair and holds so many memories for me of you, your brothers,and our friends getting together and celebrating all an agricultural community has to offer. Open to anyone in the community, for FREE! Run by volunteers for the community. God times, good memories. I love to see my grandchildren participating in these events, and visiting my "Fair friends" every year.Thank-you for this post A.Joy.

Wobegon Cottage said...

That is what a fair is all about, people working together for the good of the community. Looks like the kids all had fun. We have only gone to the Minnesota State fair once it is a sea of people and all the food is fried and on a stick. The weather is usually unbearable but this year there were a few good days and yesterday was one of them so Mike and Mary took their families.

Nancy M. said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Glad the girls won awards!