Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jolly Green Giant

These are Hops. Yes, the ones that are used to flavor beer. I like to call it the Jolly Green Giant which has taken over our garden gate.
Interesting and fast growing plant. The vines are sticky little buggers with tiny barbs on them which like to grab at your skin, hair and clothes as you walk by.
It looks as if it's looming over Little J while he tries to fix the gate with his little red hammer. Or maybe it's just helping hold the gate up for him.
The lily's before the rain hit. I'd been cutting them and bringing them inside one by one. We only need one at a time in a vase to spread their perfume throughout the entire house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've seen hops before. What a cute pic of Little J with his tiny hammer!

Those are the prettiest lilies. I can just imagine how good they make your home smell.

Hope you all have a good week and weekend.

Wobegon Cottage said...

Lilly's are very fragrant and Little J looks so cute fixing the fence.

Connie said...

Oh my! That hops plant really does look like a giant! I've never seen hops before.

Your lily is beautiful!

Mrs. Mike said...

What variety of hops and where did you aquire such?
I've been challenged to find rhizomes to plant and wanted to buy some for Father's Day.

I do love how large and looming over the garden they become!