I haven't really had a hobby since I graduated from high school. Just got busy with work and then having kids and then raising kids and cleaning up after kids I guess and I enjoy doing all that so, no need to fill any time with any hobbies. My husband has many hobbies and when he gets into a new one he goes all out and gets all equipment needed and does all he can to perfect his skill in that hobby. Last Summer, I casually said to him " I think I'd like to try shooting a bow." Right away he got on the search to find me a bow and figure out what I'd need to get into archery. Not even a day later he had it all worked out in his mind how I'd be out bow hunting and bringing home the deer or elk for our freezer. ... I'm not joking. So, we went to Cabela's and tried a couple of bows and he bought me one along with the equipment that goes with it. Then for my birthday a few months later, he bought me a bag target! ( He seriously knows how to pick out birthday gifts. ) After awhile, when I hadn't yet even tried my new bow out since buying it, he got a bit frustrated - there goes the 'deer in the freezer' plan. He brought up something he doesn't bring up often ... the 'Guitar Issue'. Oh, really? You're gonna pull that one out now? ( That was me.)
What's the Guitar Issue, you ask? Okay, As a child, my parents had me take piano lessons because we had a piano. After 3 years of piano lessons and then having to switch piano teachers and getting one I really didn't like, I asked if I could play guitar instead. My parents said " You're not quite skilled enough at piano yet - maybe after one more year." One, then two, then four more years of piano lessons went by and each time I asked to play guitar they said that same thing. I finally had had it with piano and the teacher and was really busy with many other things so my parents decided I could quit piano lessons, but I never did get that guitar. People told me " If you can play piano, then you can play guitar easy because they're pretty much the same." Right after I got married, my parents told my husband that I'd always wanted a guitar so that year for my birthday, while miserably sick and pregnant with our first baby, I got a brand new guitar as a surprise from my husband. What a sweet guy. It truly is the thought that counts but by then, I had no interest in picking up a guitar much less any other hobby. I tried - twice - in between baby #2 and baby #3 but guess what? It's NOTHING like the piano so I was disappointed, discouraged and just too busy to concentrate on it. 12 years have gone by and my lovely guitar collects dust in the closet. THAT is the 'Guitar Issue'. The same one my husband thought was going to happen to my new bow! No, I'm ready for a hobby now, so I've been working on it steadily and really enjoy it. Even my husband got out there and tried it out and thinks he'd like to get into it too. I don't think it will take over his love for his precious chukar hunting - he'll still be bringing home the tiny white meat and maybe one day I'll bring home the big red, as long as he's there to help carry it out - but the thing is - I really like my bow and using it and trying to get better at it.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
So, I think I found a new hobby ...
I haven't really had a hobby since I graduated from high school. Just got busy with work and then having kids and then raising kids and cleaning up after kids I guess and I enjoy doing all that so, no need to fill any time with any hobbies. My husband has many hobbies and when he gets into a new one he goes all out and gets all equipment needed and does all he can to perfect his skill in that hobby. Last Summer, I casually said to him " I think I'd like to try shooting a bow." Right away he got on the search to find me a bow and figure out what I'd need to get into archery. Not even a day later he had it all worked out in his mind how I'd be out bow hunting and bringing home the deer or elk for our freezer. ... I'm not joking. So, we went to Cabela's and tried a couple of bows and he bought me one along with the equipment that goes with it. Then for my birthday a few months later, he bought me a bag target! ( He seriously knows how to pick out birthday gifts. ) After awhile, when I hadn't yet even tried my new bow out since buying it, he got a bit frustrated - there goes the 'deer in the freezer' plan. He brought up something he doesn't bring up often ... the 'Guitar Issue'. Oh, really? You're gonna pull that one out now? ( That was me.)
What's the Guitar Issue, you ask? Okay, As a child, my parents had me take piano lessons because we had a piano. After 3 years of piano lessons and then having to switch piano teachers and getting one I really didn't like, I asked if I could play guitar instead. My parents said " You're not quite skilled enough at piano yet - maybe after one more year." One, then two, then four more years of piano lessons went by and each time I asked to play guitar they said that same thing. I finally had had it with piano and the teacher and was really busy with many other things so my parents decided I could quit piano lessons, but I never did get that guitar. People told me " If you can play piano, then you can play guitar easy because they're pretty much the same." Right after I got married, my parents told my husband that I'd always wanted a guitar so that year for my birthday, while miserably sick and pregnant with our first baby, I got a brand new guitar as a surprise from my husband. What a sweet guy. It truly is the thought that counts but by then, I had no interest in picking up a guitar much less any other hobby. I tried - twice - in between baby #2 and baby #3 but guess what? It's NOTHING like the piano so I was disappointed, discouraged and just too busy to concentrate on it. 12 years have gone by and my lovely guitar collects dust in the closet. THAT is the 'Guitar Issue'. The same one my husband thought was going to happen to my new bow! No, I'm ready for a hobby now, so I've been working on it steadily and really enjoy it. Even my husband got out there and tried it out and thinks he'd like to get into it too. I don't think it will take over his love for his precious chukar hunting - he'll still be bringing home the tiny white meat and maybe one day I'll bring home the big red, as long as he's there to help carry it out - but the thing is - I really like my bow and using it and trying to get better at it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am looking forward to you bagging the big buck, with bow & arrow, so impressive. Meanwhile, how about guitar lessons?
Good for you Autumn. I remember taking archery in school and how sore my arms would get! Great photo of you and I love your garden area.
That's cute about the guitar story! I have a sewing machine story and John has a metal detector story - guess we all have something in our closets!!!!!
Good luck with the bow, Autumn. In the picture, it looks like you are getting quite accustomed to using it.
That looks like something I might want to try. Is it really hard on the arms and shoulders?
Post a Comment