Tuesday, September 27, 2011

State Fair

My son's favorite time of year - time to help his grandma with her Jacob sheep exhibit at our state fair. He camps there with her and helps set up and clean her stalls during the fair and answer questions from the general public.
One of his favorite creatures to visit with at the fair each year is Stanley the camel. Stanley stays in the same barn as 'Grandma's ' ( my mom's ) sheep. As we were taking this photo a man says to me " I have some relatives that remind me of Stanley." I answered, "I think we all know a few people that resemble a camel."
Here's CT with 'Goth' my mom's ram. He gets his photo taken a lot at the fair and I think he's actually starting to like it.
CT entered several of our chickens this year and showed them in the Junior Poultry Exposition at the fair. This was his first time fitting and showing for a judge at the state fair. There were quite a few in the Junior age group so they had 2 tables. CT was one of 4 kids to get called back to move on to compete for the grand champion placing. There were 2 questions the judge asked during the final judging that CT had no answer for and the 2 young men on either side did know the answers to both of those questions as well as all the rest of the questions so - rightly so - they won the grand and reserve champion placing, but I'm super proud of CT making the top 4 for his first time ever. Now he wants to work even harder to beat his competition next year and he had a lot of fun showing.
It's hard to believe that 20 years ago, I stood in that exact spot and showed my chickens! Now my son is carrying on the tradition. Even harder to believe that the judge - there in the black shirt - was just a little girl starting out showing her chickens in our poultry 4-H club when I was ending my 4-H years. Way to make me feel old!

3 comments:

Connie said...

Fun and busy times! Nice to see your son is enjoying the same traditions of the fair that you have enjoyed. Great pictures, Autumn. Your son is growing up so fast. :)

KathyB. said...

I am so thankful to have CT helping me out at the fair, and even prouder of him that he is showing chickens and working hard to excel at this. He will go far and be a son worthy of praise from his parents, easily!Plus, I just love hanging out with him and am grateful he loves to be with me. Good job C.T.!

trump said...

I was just passing through and thought id stop and say hello. Have a very nice weekend everyone. Richard from the Amish community of Pennsylvania.