Monday, October 22, 2012

Saying Goodbye

 On September 18th we got word that my husband's mom was in the hospital with pneumonia.  She moved from our house to Pennsylvania to live with her twin sister last October, then she moved to southern California this July to live with and help care for another one of her sisters. 
 On the last day of September we got a call that she took a turn for the worse and would not be leaving the hospital.  We packed up some clothes and the kids.  My Aunt - who just recently moved here from the east coast - dropped everything to come stay at our house and care for our animals.  We loaded up that evening in our pickup and drove 19 hours south to be with Mom.
 We stayed in southern California for 11 days, the kids and I would go back and forth between the hospital cafeteria and our hotel.  My husband would spend as much time as the doctors would allow in his mom's room along with his two sisters and many of his mom's siblings and their children.  Mom was able to hear and see us the first 2 days we were there but not after that due to pain medication.  The kids couldn't visit her room since she remained in ICU and it's too dangerous to their young immune systems to let them up there.
 We would gather in our hotel room for lunches and dinners - most of the food was made by some of the aunties.  Needless to say, there was a lot of eating and sitting and getting to visit with family we don't get to see.
 (My husband and I with his two sisters and three cousins. )
 Letting the kids get some exercise outside the hospital and making use of one of the few outdoor seating areas.
 Saying goodbye before leaving for the long drive home.  Our kids with two of Mom's sisters and brother.  I'm thankful we were able to make the trip and see her and tell her we love her and let her know we were all there praying for her and staying by her in her last days.
Mom passed away a few hours after we got back home.  My husband flew back for the funeral service a few days later.  Somewhere in between summer turned to fall and the rain reappeared to Western, WA.  Time to get back into the daily routine.  Hasn't quite sunk in yet that Mom is truly gone.  We are so thankful that we were able to have her live with us for a year and half ,2010 - 2011 and the kids were able to really get to know their 'Nana'.  That's time we will treasure always.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear mother in law. How wonderful that you were able to make the trip out and see her while you had the opportunity. Losing parents-grandparents is such a painful experience, and I pray God will give your family comfort and peace during this painful time.
Debbie

Alice said...

This is a dificult time for you and your family. I dont think Grandma will be here much longer and Grandpa isnt far behind. My ticket is for the month of december which may be to late for me to see my mom. I may go to Michelles while I am there and may get a chance to see you all. I will be praying for you all.

KathyB. said...

It is truly a blessing that you all had time to spend with her and even your youngest got to know her. The cute & funny stories, the memories, that come with living together as a family will grow more precious with time, especially when it sinks in that she really is gone from this earthly world.

Connie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. The time you and your family had with her is definitely a treasure.

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy to each of you in your loss. I'm so thankful she had a chance to be with you and your family in recent years. Blessings to you and your family. Mildred