Thursday, March 25, 2010

Feelin' Clammy

Sunday, Day 3 ~ A huge wind storm had blown in the night before and howled around the rental house all night. Luckily we woke up to no wind but some rain clouds instead. Low tide was an hour later than the day before so we all took our time getting up, eating breakfast, packing our belongings and packing lunches to take out to the beach with us. Once we gave the house a once over we were on our way back out - this time more prepared, knowing the hike we'd have to make out to the dig spot. Little J fell asleep as soon as he was into his car seat so once we arrived at the bay my husband put the baby pack on and we all grabbed our gear and headed down to the beach. Above is the gang making the hike around that cliff I'd mentioned in yesterday's post that was blowing sand all over. Today there wasn't any wind so we didn't have that sand storm problem. It was also much warmer without the wind.
The kids got right to it, Little J really enjoying the view from Daddy's back. Each shovel full held around 4 clams - most big in size so we were able to be really selective with what we wanted to bring home. I like the smaller ones, just steamed and dipped in butter best. My husband wanted some larger ones for clam strips.
Below MN holds up one of hers - we all got our limit very quickly. It had started raining just as we started digging which sent one of our brother in laws back to the cars for umbrellas. This of course made it stop raining and the sky cleared up for the rest of the day.
Brother in law, Eli, demonstrates proper clam digging technique! Hmmm Eli, I think you could use a larger shovel! Eli also gathered several oysters and ate a few right there since you have to shuck the oysters you harvest right there on the beach before taking them.
After we all had gathered our limit in clams we gathered on a large log for lunch and a rest before hiking back to the vehicles.
Above ~ our gang of bumps on a log, minus myself. Below ~ I make it into the shot.
We had a terrific time enjoying each other's company and gathering that special treat ( clams ) at the same time. A big thank you to our sister Antoinette for arranging the whole trip and making sure we all got there, had a roof over our head and food to eat!
And now to eat up those clams! My husband and I spent last night steaming and cutting up the rest of our harvest, frying some and freezing some for a future batch of clam chowder. I made one pot of chowder after we got home using coconut milk, potatoes, garlic, chicken broth, bacon, onions and clams. It turned out very well!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! The chowder sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures.

Susie said...

I'm glad you didn't have to deal with the wind. That part didn't sound like too much fun.

The chowder sounded yummy!

Nancy M. said...

Those are some wonderful pictures! Glad y'all were able to get a group shot!

Connie said...

Sounds like you should have brought the umbrellas with you to start with! ;) HA!

It looks very pretty there. I love the beach. Glad you had warmer weather and no sand storms to hike through this time.

KathyB. said...

Those ARE great pictures, and especially the one of your beloved husband and Little J. I would frame that picture. What fun for you all. And I like the picture of tall, tall Eli with the teeny tiny shovel.

Lanny said...

We haven't been rock clamming in a long long time. We were totally spoiled by having a friend who lived on the beach right next to the ferry dock on Vashon Island. It just made it all too easy. And they really taught us some neat tricks to prepping and cooking the little buggers. MMMmmmMMM.

And we haven't been down to the ocean to razor clams in a year! Yikes! Ithought fo rsure we would get to this year but heck no, instead I have to come up with this zanny business plan!

I'm so glad you guys had such a good time and got your limits of tasty morsels. Inspiring indeed!

Together We Save said...

Looks like a wonderful day!! I have never had clams. Sounds yummy though.