Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hiking an Old Growth Forest

There is a trail through the old growth forest that surrounds the Iron Creek campground where we were staying. My mom and I were able to take my three older kids and three of my brother's girls on this 1 1/2 mile hike.
A 'slide' under a fallen tree leading to the edge of the river.
This huge tree fell leaving a crater inside the stump where the wood had rotted out.
Mom and the kids next to a huge cedar.
Going over a little wood bridge. The kids played 'Three Billy Goat's Gruff' and two of them were the trolls under the bridge.
We needed three more people to make it around this tree. Pretty neat to think about what might have been going on around here when these trees were babies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty place to hike. My favorite photo is the one of the kids reaching around the tree! Thanks for sharing part of your trip with us.

Connie said...

Those trees are so amazing. I've never seen any trees that old and that big in person. That's something I hope to do someday.

KathyB. said...

It was a fun walk and never ceases to amaze and awe me! I liked watching the kids wrapping themselves around the tree, and there is one little girl hiding behind the tree too, just helping the attempt to link arms all round the tree.I love that picture~

Debbie said...

I've always wondered how many kids it takes to circle a tree; now I know:) I've never seen trees that large in person; I hope I get to see some in my lifetime. Would love to visit that region of the US someday.

Nancy M. said...

Wow! It must be so neat to see those huge trees! I love seeing the pics of your hike!

Susie said...

What beautiful trees! Can't believe how big that one is. Love it!