(Me at about 5 or 6 years old )
As I was thinking of things to write about I realized I had not ever posted about the most important thing to ever happen to me! More important than my wedding day, more important that my kids being born ... the time that determined how I would spend eternity - after my life is over on earth! The time I committed my life to follow Jesus Christ! I think, even if you were very young like I was when I asked Jesus into my heart, you should remember doing so. You may not remember every detail - or it may be a bit foggy if it was long ago, but forgetting that moment would be like forgetting your wedding or a child being born.
I was 5 years old. It wasn't any huge, spectacular, emotional moment for me. The week before, my mom and dad had been talking to my brothers and I about what communion was. Why did most of the grown ups and some of the kids at church get to drink juice in those tiny cups and have a pinch of bread during the service? Being kids, we wanted juice and bread too, just to have it! So, my parents told us what it meant to take communion and that it was a time to reflect on your relationship with the Lord. Not 'snack time'. They explained that you should do this if you had Jesus in your heart and what it meant to ask Jesus into your heart to rule your life and to be a follower of Christ. I remember a few days before, going outside in the front yard where my dad was cutting down a tree and asking him what God looked like. He said we don't know but that God was brighter than the sun in the sky so we could not look upon Him and I looked at the blue sky with a few fluffy clouds in it while my dad told me this. I pictured God's face looking down from there and in my 5 year old mind God looked like a smiling Sean Connery with a fishing hat on.
A few days later my grandparents who did not know Jesus, came over for dinner and later on, us kids were sent up for bed. I could hear Mom and Dad downstairs visiting with Grandma and Grandpa and knew that they didn't know Jesus. I knew I wanted to follow Jesus and I knew I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart before Sunday so I could share communion with my mom and dad. I remembered my folks said that I could ask Jesus into my heart all by myself or with them or anyone I wanted to pray with me. I don't like attention from others so the knowledge I could talk to Jesus about it all by myself was great. I just sat on my bed and prayed " Dear Jesus, I'm sorry for all my sins and bad things I've done and please come into my heart, I love you. Amen" Then I went to sleep.
I told my parents the next day that I'd prayed that and they said I was now a Christian and a child of God and that Sunday I got to have communion too! I pray for all of my kids to want to be followers of Christ and so far our 3 oldest have, at different times, asked Jesus into their own hearts. Over the next week I will write each one of our kid's testimony's so they can better remember the most important day in their life. We pray that Little J will ask Jesus into his heart when is old enough to comprehend what it means to do so. To commit his life to following Christ. To knock on that door so Jesus can open it. For now, he's happy to keep on singing "Jesus Loves Me .... The Bible Tells Me STRONG!"
( That's his version. )
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
My Testimony
(Me at about 5 or 6 years old )
As I was thinking of things to write about I realized I had not ever posted about the most important thing to ever happen to me! More important than my wedding day, more important that my kids being born ... the time that determined how I would spend eternity - after my life is over on earth! The time I committed my life to follow Jesus Christ! I think, even if you were very young like I was when I asked Jesus into my heart, you should remember doing so. You may not remember every detail - or it may be a bit foggy if it was long ago, but forgetting that moment would be like forgetting your wedding or a child being born.
I was 5 years old. It wasn't any huge, spectacular, emotional moment for me. The week before, my mom and dad had been talking to my brothers and I about what communion was. Why did most of the grown ups and some of the kids at church get to drink juice in those tiny cups and have a pinch of bread during the service? Being kids, we wanted juice and bread too, just to have it! So, my parents told us what it meant to take communion and that it was a time to reflect on your relationship with the Lord. Not 'snack time'. They explained that you should do this if you had Jesus in your heart and what it meant to ask Jesus into your heart to rule your life and to be a follower of Christ. I remember a few days before, going outside in the front yard where my dad was cutting down a tree and asking him what God looked like. He said we don't know but that God was brighter than the sun in the sky so we could not look upon Him and I looked at the blue sky with a few fluffy clouds in it while my dad told me this. I pictured God's face looking down from there and in my 5 year old mind God looked like a smiling Sean Connery with a fishing hat on.
A few days later my grandparents who did not know Jesus, came over for dinner and later on, us kids were sent up for bed. I could hear Mom and Dad downstairs visiting with Grandma and Grandpa and knew that they didn't know Jesus. I knew I wanted to follow Jesus and I knew I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart before Sunday so I could share communion with my mom and dad. I remembered my folks said that I could ask Jesus into my heart all by myself or with them or anyone I wanted to pray with me. I don't like attention from others so the knowledge I could talk to Jesus about it all by myself was great. I just sat on my bed and prayed " Dear Jesus, I'm sorry for all my sins and bad things I've done and please come into my heart, I love you. Amen" Then I went to sleep.
I told my parents the next day that I'd prayed that and they said I was now a Christian and a child of God and that Sunday I got to have communion too! I pray for all of my kids to want to be followers of Christ and so far our 3 oldest have, at different times, asked Jesus into their own hearts. Over the next week I will write each one of our kid's testimony's so they can better remember the most important day in their life. We pray that Little J will ask Jesus into his heart when is old enough to comprehend what it means to do so. To commit his life to following Christ. To knock on that door so Jesus can open it. For now, he's happy to keep on singing "Jesus Loves Me .... The Bible Tells Me STRONG!"
( That's his version. )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wonderful story, Autumn. :-) I was eight on that most important day in my life.
A very good memory indeed. I have lots of memories of communing with my Savior over the years and many as a child but not that first one.
What a great day for you and I love that picture. I never new how you came to know the Lord. What a great testimony. I was in High School before I made the right decision to be a Jesus Follower. My mom said I did at 4 years old but I never remembered it and like you said it is something you should remember.Hunter Loves Jesus loves me and sings it all the time.I even found a book with it in story form at Barnes and Nobel.
Beautiful, Autumn. I was nine and had just attended Vacation Bible School at our church when I accepted Christ. May God bless you and your family.
Oh Autumn, you bring tears of happiness to my eyes. You always have and I and your Dad praise God for His gift to us of you, and because He gave us you, we also have another beloved Son ( Tom ) and 4 precious grandchildren who we can share eternity with. ( Little J will come to Him )
What a good thing to share on your blog .I had to laugh at your perception of God , Sean Connery in a fishing hat!
Sweet post! Thank you for sharing your testimony - I know it will touch many lives whether they comment or not! I was nine!
Post a Comment