Monday, January 17, 2011

Under $600 Per Month

I like to save money. I do not like to spend money. So the less I have to get out to the stores and do so, the better I feel and the less time I can spend when I do have to go, the better and the more I can get for the least amount of money - even better. I don't like to cook. It's no secret. I've never enjoyed preparing food but when I got married, I agreed to take on that job and I take my job as a wife seriously and try to uphold my end of the deal. I agreed to make sure that everyone in the household is offered 3 meals a day. My husband goes out to work to make the money to purchase the food and it's my job to make sure we have it in the house to fix up into breakfasts, lunches and dinners at appropriate times. Pretty simple really. 11 years ago ( we had our first baby in the house ) both of us agreed that going to the store often was wasting gas in the car, time in the day and money on stuff we might not really need. So, I started writing out a menu, like this~
Nothing fancy. Every month I grab a sheet of plain paper and a pen and write out the days in that month and then spend a day filling in the menu with stuff we'll have for dinner each day. I take into account any holidays that month and meals we'll need to make for those holidays or our church potluck each Saturday or if we're going out to someone else's house for dinner etc...
Then, after most of the days are filled in, I make out the grocery list on a separate piece of paper - writing down every single item that will be needed to make each meal I've put on the menu. (Including non food items like tin foil or sandwich bags etc. ) Sometimes I have several of the ingredients already in the cupboards and only need to buy a few to complete the meal, other times it's a new dish I've never tried before and have to buy all new ingredients. I separate my grocery list into categories like this~ Meat, Produce, Baking, Dairy, Other and Non Food. Then write each item under the category it fits under. This helps me make my grocery shopping trip faster so I'm not going back and forth throughout the store so much. Then - with coupons clipped from the Sunday newspaper in hand ( and my list ) I go to the store - ONCE A MONTH. Usually at the beginning of each month. I prefer to take all of the kids with me because they really help me save time. I prefer to shop at either Walmart ( because it's close by and super cheap and I can get EVERYTHING there ) or Fred Meyer ( because they have the largest selection of non dairy products, have good quality and I can get everything there.) I read the list and the kids help me gather all the items and put them in the cart. They also do 100 % of the bagging and loading groceries into the cart. They don't quite know what to do with themselves at Fred Meyer when the store's bagger starts bagging our groceries. When we get home, we put it all away and I'm always conscious of the fact that we don't have a large freezer or a super huge pantry so I'm careful to either repackage meats into ziplock bags for freezing if I get a big tray or not overstock on unnecessary items that just won't fit in the house!
Now, we all know that produce goes bad after about a week and a half and we personally run out of a gallon of milk after almost 2 weeks and occasionally I forget an item while at the store (gasp!) so in the very middle of the month, either my husband, on his way home from work or myself will run in to grab the veggies and milk to last the rest of the month. This has made it sooooo much easier for me. I don't have to come up with an answer to the dreaded question " What's for dinner". It's already written down on the menu! I don't have to wonder if I have all the right ingredients or if someone has to run to the store! I know I have what I need for what I need to make and when I need to make it. This has saved us a lot of money. Back then when we only had 2 kids, we would only spend $300 per month on groceries. Plus we were poorer and I'd make one whole chicken into 2 dinners and my husband's work lunch. Now, we have 4 kids and are a bit better off so we spend between $400 and $550 per month depending on special occasions going on that month.
Sure, sometimes for example it's Monday and I've written spaghetti on the menu for that day but we discover that people will be dropping by on Friday for dinner where I'd written down 'grilled cheese sandwiches'. So, then I'll just switch the meals around and do spaghetti for our guests on Friday. The comfort and ease is knowing I have the food to make both meals no matter when I actually cook them. And if we're unexpectedly invited to share dinner at my folks or something - then there's a night I didn't have to make the meal on our menu so that can be moved over to the next month! I've written up these menus every month for 11 years and that's how our family saves time and money. I'd love to hear how everyone else does it - organized or not - we all do things a little different and maybe you have a tip on how you simplify your meal making!?

8 comments:

Nancy M. said...

I like shopping once a month too. Usually I find it saves me money. But, my friend who is living with us likes going once a week and so I've been going with her and I think I'm spending more than I used to. I think you do great spending so little too!

Connie said...

I think it is fantastic how organized and efficient you are, A. Joy. Sounds like you have worked out a great system.

I generally figure out what to fix for us for dinner after I get home from work that day. HA! I'll open the freezer or refrigerator or cupboard and cook whatever looks good. I do have space to store things ahead which helps my system (such as it is). Another thing that helps is that I have a long list of all the different items I buy regularly at the grocery store and keep it stored on my computer. I print out this list and circle things we need as we run out of them. The items are on the list in the order they are in the aisles of the stores, so my list really helps me get through the store quickly. I almost always shop alone, though. Having your helpers along probably gets the shopping done quicker for you. :)

KathyB. said...

Your list makes it easy for anyone who needs to fix meals there. Why, if you're sick, the rest of the family knows the ingredients are handy and the recipe will be there too.Plus, your husband can count on certain meals when he gets home, and we both know how much our husbands like to look forward to a particular meal. Why it can just ruin their whole day to look forward to one meal and come home to another!

The best part of all this is your husband has a wife in whom he can trust, trust to care for him and the children, keep the home clean, and love him truthfully, faithfully. You are all blessed. So are your father and I!

Wobegon Cottage said...

I hope to try shopping once a month at Sams Club and then a little bit more for fresh veggies and milk. I will start babysitting soon and won't have time to run to the store each week. I also make up a menu and then a list but now I will be feeding two toddlers for lunch so I have to figure out a menu for them. The foods I have picked for myself are not all todddler friendly. I eat about six times a day so now the afternoon snack will have to be toddler friendly also. It really does save time and money. My problem Is I love to cook and bake.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You are such a wise woman; bless you! Life is different for us right now so I'm not making menus but going to the fridge and seeing what's there to cook. One thing I try to do is not waste food but I can tell you one thing...a gallon of milk lasts about a day and a half around our house. We go through milk like Sherman went through Atlanta!

Unknown said...

We grocery shop once a month as well! We have a Costco membership that pays us back at the end of the year so it ends up being 'free'. We also go to the local butcher shop (Farmer George) and the little things we can't get at Costco we get at Fred Meyer's on Grandma/Aunt visit days. It really has worked wonderfully. Just wish I could get the meal planning done more efficiently, if I have an interruption to my life, no matter how small, sometimes the dinner list just doesn't get done and I have to 'wing it'. That is how this month has been, but I know what I usually buy and then go from there. I much prefer myself being organized though and having that menu to look at on the fridge. :)

Vickie said...

You've been much more organized than I ever was, young lady! I've shopped once a week, but our grocery was not far from our home. Now that it's just me and my husband, it's really easy for us. It's almost cheaper for us to go out to eat and split something! But we like simple things and sometimes dinner is a bowl of oatmeal or a sandwich. We're still both working and meet sometimes for lunch. I like to eat a bigger meal at lunch and have a lighter supper most days. But we try to get our veggies and fruits in there, too.

You're doing a great job with that and being a wonderful helpmeet for your hubby! Keep up the good work!

Your RE Broker said...

I've admired your method for 11 yrs and really need to try it...who can't benefit from having more time or money??? I'll try this for March and let you know how it goes. ;) Thank you for writing this down for me!!!