
This may be a lame topic for a blog post but I'm so excited about this that I'm going to blog about it anyway and in true "Me " fashion, I will make a short story - much longer because long stories are much more entertaining and interesting - although my husband tuned me out after the words "I'm so excited about this - I was able to find these great..." In hindsight I probably should have started the sentence off with " REALLY COOL TRUCK!" or " GREAT HUNTING SPOT!!" just to grab his attention and then gone into my story - to which he would have paid attention waiting for the part about the cool truck or hunting spot to be applied. I know, my marketing strategy for drawing attention to my stories is a good one and you're welcome to use it free of charge on your own spouse should you see them shut off seconds into whatever it is you have to say. OKAY! On to what I'm excited about. I was at the store and going for my favorite microwave popcorn - the only one in the store without milk in it, ( simply salted ) only to find they were completely out. The girls asked if we could just buy a bag of kernels and pop our own and I remembered I had this OLD popcorn popper that I got from my mom YEARS ago. She'd bought it when I was about 14 years old so we're looking at an over 20 year old popper. Once home, I dug it out of the cupboard and went in search of these little cardboard discs that you have to place inside the popper. I figured I could just use a paper plate or something if I didn't have any left but I was pleased to find I had ONE of these little discs left and the packaging strictly warned against trying to use anything else other than those little discs to pop your corn or for certain the apocalypse would happen. I knew I'd have to find out if I could then buy more of these little discs so we could pop more kernels in the future and figured - like everything else in this world - they would be obsolete or so completely hard to come by or overpriced that it would just be better to trash the popper and buy a new one. I went online prepared to do some major hunting only to find that they came right up and I could purchase them lots of places including Walmart! I still figured I'd have to pre order them - wait awhile and so on so I put the idea aside.
Last night - while out at Walmart, I remembered these little discs and thought I'd peruse the popcorn popper aisle just to see if I could find some there. Sure enough - there they were! Right in front - next the exact 20 something year old popper I have! In packs of several - for 2 BUCKS!

Finally! Somebody quit updating, rearranging, trying to improve, upgrade or downsize their product and stuck to something that just plain works in the first place! No phone calls, product numbers, special shipping costs or google searches needed!! Things like this just don't happen to me very often so it's nice to catch a break once in awhile. Even if the break is just so I can have some popcorn at the end of the day.
5 comments:
I am excited too ! Imagine a world where some tings that work perfectly well are left alone to continue working well, and there may be parts available to replace worn-out from practical use parts. Like my sewing machine and our Subaru. After awhile dependable and well-used equipment needs a few things to keep it running, but our economy does not accommodate well made and well used machines. Good thing your popcorn popper has decided to keep what works! ( I'd still buy a big supply of those cardboard thingies anyway, just in case)
I meant , some "THINGS", not "tings". My Norwegian heritage might mean a lot to me but I have no Norwegian accent to write in!
BTW, how come spell-check did not red line this? Is it a word?
It is true, so much of the times things are obsolete as soon as you buy them! How wonderful that these are still available for you and that you can have popcorn without worrying about allergies. Have a good weekend! :)
Oh my gosh! I can Christmas gift myself this and make my own popcorn too!!! Yay! =D Thank you A Joy for sharing your wonderful excitement with us!
LOL. Loved this. Especially the part about getting your hubby's attention with keywords like "hunting" and "truck". Too funny - and I can so relate. =)
Post a Comment