Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm Not Scary?

I finally realize something ... I'm not very scary. My children have gotten good at taking the camera and snapping photos of whatever they want, I'll get my camera, take photos of a family event, go to upload the photos onto the computer and find a whole bunch of photos of dolls, Barbie weddings, toy fairies in trees, reptiles, bugs, cats, chickens and goofy kids doing goofy things that I did not take! Hmmmm. In the past 3 years, there have been 3 times one of the kids has gone 'Click!' with the camera when I've been upset at them and am giving them my 'I don't approve' face. ( See photo above. ) All three times, that is what my face l00ks like. Oh it's an alright photo - can't complain that they get me in my pj's just come in from scooping dog poop in the rain but I guess I always pictured myself a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger and a little bit scarier than I actually am. Especially when scolding. No wonder they all come to me to ask for that extra cookie or drink of juice instead of going to their dad who's standing right next to the cookie jar or juice container and would willingly hand it to them. I'll usually say 'No', but I don't look as scary as he does saying 'Yes?'' My Dad didn't get angry often but even when he did ~ he never looked scary - heck, he never even looked mad. ( Sorry Dad ). Of course I still respected what he said and didn't want to disappoint him - but nope, never seen my Dad look upset. Mom was the one that you didn't want to make mad in our house cause she'd get the stormy eyes. I think it's important for Mamma's to be tough - especially when those boys get bigger and you can bet my brothers still respect our Mom and don't ever want to make her disappointed with them! I'm sure my kids respect what I say and don't want to disappoint me either but I for sure always need to remember to 'Mean what I say when I say it and don't back down!' Especially if my face can't get any scarier than that! Now if the dogs were snapping photos while I was yelling at them! That might be a scary face - almost?

2 comments:

KathyB. said...

Ha ha, yes, your Dad is really a softie, that's what I love about him.Us shorties ( not you , you're at least 2 inches taller than me) need to be able to stand our ground, or at least make it uncomfortable for others to challenge us, survival daughter, survival.~

BTW, I know your kids strive to please you, you're loved and respected in spite of not being able to instill fear with a glare.

Connie said...

I don't think you look scary, but I'm sure your kids know when you mean business. Scary or not, you are still their Mom, and I think they respect that. :-)