Friday, December 21, 2012

The Unwrapped Gift

 Over 30 years ago - I believe I was about five years old - my brothers and I piled into our car with Mom and Dad to go spend Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  All of the cousins would be there ( I was the oldest ) and the Aunties and Uncles and we'd get candy and lefse!  After everyone had arrived and we'd had dinner, Grandpa gathered us all in the living room to pass out presents that were under his tree.  Gifts brought by all of us to give to others in the family.  There were quite a lot of us so usually each person would draw a name and then buy just one gift for that person.  I remember seeing the presents sitting under the tree - all in fun colored wrapping paper , waiting for Grandpa to read the names and pass them out.  He started calling out the names of my cousins and brothers and handing each of them one of the wrapped gifts - then he called my name.  It was on this little wooden folding chair - the one in the photo above.  I thought for sure he'd read the name wrong - surely mine would be a more 'childish' gift in wrapping paper!  My mom said "Autumn, that one is for you!"  I remember then, I did something HORRIBLE.  I stuck out my bottom lip, slouched down and said "I don't want it - it's not wrapped."  My parents and the wonderful Auntie that had bought me the chair tried to coax me into seeing how wonderful the gift was - even though it hadn't been wrapped.  I pouted some more, I think I even cried.  I got taken to the 'Blue Room' by my mom and was punished for my attitude and lack of gratitude.  She told me how kind it was for my aunt to think so highly of me that I was old enough to get a more grown up gift and what a special thoughtful  gift it was.  After a few moments, I started to feel bad, really bad.  I didn't want to hurt my Aunt!  I actually liked the chair!  It wasn't until we got home that night that I truly realized how awful I'd acted.  I know I was made to apologize that day to my Aunt for my behavior, but I'd like to tell her now, how much I've enjoyed that present... so much that I've taken wonderful care of it - it's taken some abuse, some rough little boys  ( and girls ) have sat in that chair, I love that it folds to fit nicely under a bed when space is needed, that dolls fit perfectly in it as well, I like the creak the seat makes when you sit in it and after 30 + years, it's still around, looking just like it did that day long ago.  I'm sure we can't say the same for any of the other gifts given to the kids that year.  I don't even remember what any of them were!  I've loved this chair, and my children love this chair and it will probably be around for my grandchildren too!  Just another reminder, it's what's inside that counts, not the wrapping and the thought and time that my Aunt took while selecting this gift for me. 
This next memory is of another gift given at Christmas time - ten years ago.  Our family along with our church group, was visiting a local nursing home, we all went to sing carols to the residents.  Our daughter, KN, was only 1 year old and in her stroller at the time.  An elderly man in a wheelchair was following us through the halls, listening to us sing.  As we were leaving the building, slowly, carrying our 3 yr old and pushing KN in the stroller, the old man was wheeling to the door and everyone started saying goodbye's and Merry Christmas's.  No one really took notice of him.  I heard this weak, raspy voice calling - saying " I have something, hold on just a minute, I have something!"  He was waving his hand, very weakly and trying to be heard over all the voices. I said to my husband "Wait, I think that man wants to say something. " Then I said it again to my Mom, because everyone just started walking away out into the dark to their cars.  The three of us stopped a moment and listened carefully to the man. He said "I have something - something for the little one."  Then he turned around and wheeled himself back into the building and up the hall and was gone.  We didn't know if we should wait around or just assume he'd gone back inside for good.  We decided to wait.  After a few minutes, the man came wheeling back to the door - out of breath from trying to hurry his chair along, he had this little stuffed lamb ( much less worn than it is in the photo ), he wheeled up to us with a big smile on his face and handed the lamb to our little KN.  "This is for you, Merry Christmas!"  he said to her.  Of course, she smiled and held tight to the lamb and we gave him our thanks and wished him a Merry Christmas and watched him wheel slowly back into the building.  That has always been such a special gift to me - and to KN, that man, who didn't have much at all, being so thrilled to be able to give something to a child.  He made our Christmas that year and I hope we made a little part of his.  I tell her this story every year and she likes to hear it.  The memory that comes with the gift.

"Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, (2)  saying, "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews?  For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him." (11) And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him.   And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh."  Matthew 2:1,2, 11

3 comments:

Connie said...

These are very special memories, Autumn. :-) Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Phil and Callie said...

Thanks for sharing those stories, I just read them both to M & M :)

Nib's End said...

Oh you dear girl...I laughed till I cried. I had completely forgotten about that. You would think I had learned my lesson not to give a small child an unwrapped Christmas present, but I am sorry to say I pulled the same trick with my own daughter a few years later. I gave her an old, wooden doll's cradle I had stripped, stained and made bedding for...she wouldn't look at it and started to cry when we tried to persuade her. She played with it for many years, and now my granddaughters play with it as well.

Not to break the trend, I gave my 6 year old grandson an unwrapped, red, gently used child's drum set for his birthday tonight. It was an expensive set I could not have afforded otherwise. Times have changed. He loves it, but, as you can well imagine, his mother wasn't too thrilled until she saw him accompany his dad playing Christmas carols on his guitar. We both got teary-eyed for all the right reasons.