I look around me now as I'm in my 30's and take a look at who my friends are and I urge you ( anyone reading this ) to do the same ... how many of your current friends did you meet in school and if you do have many of them for friends today - how many of those relationships are/were ones that were beneficial in learning attributes God would like you to have learned?
My point in saying that is - there's nothing wrong with having friends in school but if your goal is to meet people there and acquire friends - what kind of relationship and knowledge are you trying to gain by having them as friends?
As a homeschooler - yes, I had friends and yes, my kids have friends. I count both of my brothers as my best friends and when they and cousins got married we gained even more friends! When I got married my pool of friends doubled or maybe even tripled with all of my husband's family members. Besides the enormous amount of blood related friends we have, we also became friends with children in church, our local 4-H club, all of the fairs we spent so much time at showing our animals, the children in our neighborhood and we were part of a small homeschool group. My cousins Jenny and Brad...
( Brad shown here with his wife who is pregnant with their first son! ) grew up next door to us and are probably more like siblings than cousins. They are still our friends today.
This handsome couple here - the Wilsons - are very close friends. We met Adam and his brother in church as young children and then were in the same homeschool group - getting together once a month to work on science experiments!


This is a photo of myself and my VERY dear friend who I met when she was 2 and I was 5. We were neighbors, then attended the same church, then the same 4-H club and the same homeschool group. 28 years later and we are still the best of friends! I find I have so many friends that I barely have time to keep in touch with all of them as do my own children.
I also find that during the few highschool years that I spent in public school - I made some friends, nice people who were fun but they were very shallow friendships and I no longer see or hear from any of them. Hopefully, my children will grow to learn that quality of friendship is greater than quantity of friends and that they can have a 'friendship' bond with their own siblings and family members that can last a lifetime.
9 comments:
I so agree w/ you on the quality of friends being the most important. I admire people who homeschool and wouldn't mind doing it myself if we are able to adopt.
I also greatly admire you for homeschooling and agree that the quality of friends is the most important thing. As we grow older and experience trials in our lives, true Christian friends are what carry us through the tough times. God bless you and your beautiful family. I enjoyed "meeting" all your friends/family in today's photos.
I value friendship very much and am saddened that those I thought I had a strong friendship with in school have proven to me otherwise. I love that our family members also make the best friends...I hope our children grow to recognize that and appreciate it as much. Great post...loved reading it.
My oldest two had few friends, my younger two have even fewer, if by friends we only mean those within their age group. Otherwise all four of my girls were/are wealthy with friends. As a homeschool mom the biggest objections I came across was the socializing and friend concerns. Those objections were completely unfounded. I'm glad I had good friends like your mom to keep me feeling bold.
I guess I really never thought about it before but you're right. Hardly ever do we have friendships in our adult years that we had while in school. I really admire anyone who homeschools their kids.
my brothers and I played together, or I played by myself and expanded my imagination...immersed myself in art...and now as an adult, my family are my friends, my mom is one of my best! and I have met one very special fellow marine wife who I LOVE and she is the sunshine in my day! and we bonded over how our personalities complimented each other and our marine husbands, and our love for our children. she's about to have her first!
I am SOOOO homeschooling my kids too. :)
I love this post, Autumn! This particular thought hadn't crossed my mind yet, but you got me thinking--and I appreciate that! Thank you for this post! You all are so special to us!
Shellmo ~ Oh that would be SO wonderful if you were able to adopt!! What a lucky child that would be to have you for a mommy!
Mildred~ I agree, it is usually when going through a trial that you find who your closest friends are and let's not forget to try to have Jesus as our best friend because He is the only one that can go along with you when you leave this life on earth!
amc ~ I have always known you to be a very good friend as well as sister and you're so generous with your time and love in all of your friendships!
Lanny~ Our family definitely includes your family as our friends and I don't think age matters at all whether your best friend is your grandma, little nephew or neighbor next door!
I guess some folks view homeschooling as the equivalent of locking your children in a closet until age 18.
You're right Susie ~ I always thought school was where you went to learn but it seems nowadays it's where people think you have to go in order to make any friends. That or the bar! =)
Carol ~ I know you can relate as we shared many of the same homeschool field trips! I'm excited that you will homeschool your kids too and let me know when you're ready to start - I'll probably have plenty of curriculum to hand over to you!
Wilsonclan ~ you're another one of those couples who can see both sides - you not being homeschooled and Adam being schooled at home just like my husband and I.
Friendships are treasures and you are very blessed indeed! :)
Post a Comment