Thursday, February 26, 2009

In the dog house.

Hunting season ( for Birdy Balaku ) is over and man it's cold outside. Still too early to really get going on the gardening so what's a guy got to keep him busy?
Our dogs have been desperate for a dog house. We've been using a really old truck canopy that was here on the property when we bought the place. The dogs were okay digging a den under it but it's time to send that on to the dump cause we ( and by we I mean he ) built a two room insulated dog house. We used http://www.doghouseplans.com/ to get the plans for this one.
It's split in half inside and the dogs go in the door and inside there's an interior door to an enclosed 2nd room. Walker and Halle ( Our black Labs ) have been doing some arguing though. Walker goes in and blocks the door so Halle is stuck out in the rain. My husband says he's going to build a 2nd dog house on Sunday.
Then there was the 'work field trip' to the annual Northwest Flower and Garden Show. He went with some guys from work since this is the field of work they are in for the city - maintaining and beautifying the city's landscapes.
Here they are with Garden Guru and TV personality Ciscoe Morris who is quite a character to say the least. My husband says he doesn't know how Ciscoe's arm ended up on his shoulder.

If you have any gardening questions or just want to share an appreciation for brussel sprouts ( Ciscoe's favorite food ) you could probably google " Gardening with Ciscoe" and find answers.

There were a few interesting structural exhibits to take photos of for ideas around our own yard and I guess creating live tapestries out of different plants to hang in your landscape is a big thing right now. ( Photo above. )

Back at home things are wet and cold, in fact it snowed all night last night only to melt away today.

Still, he was able to get the blueberry bushes and strawberries planted.

Those darn wild rabbits better stay away!

And Look! The miniature daffodils in the kids' cutting garden are coming up!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post tonight. I love the dog house. The garden show looks like it was great and I am excited about the mini jonquils in the children's garden. We have one little patch of the mini's that were here when we moved in and I noticed today they should be blooming in a week. My post tonight has a Story Garden in NY that you and your children would love - maybe you and your husband could incorporate some of the ideas in your own garden.

KathyB. said...

Cisco Morris' love of brussels sprouts is one of the many reasons I love to listen to and watch him! I will have to touch B. Balaku again to say I touched some one who touched a celebrity I appreciate! If the daffodils are beginning their thrust upward and I hear the frogs peeping every night, well, in spite of the snow, spring is on the way!

Susie said...

That live tapestry looks very interesting. I bet the garden show was fun to attend.

Glad to hear you got the blueberries and strawberries planted. I decided to plant my strawberries yesterday. They all went into the ground with the exception of one I decided to plant in a hanging pot.

Your RE Broker said...

I saw the live tapestry thing on an HGTV episode this week and thought it was cool...they had one for indoors. The pic you have is so pretty...my brother so wanted that celeb's arm on his shoulder! hahaha

Lanny said...

He says he doesn't know how Cisco's arm ended up on his shoulder? Is that a ten spot I see in Morris' other hand?

Shelley said...

Blueberries & strawberries sound great! Will you preserve them this summer? It was also neat to look at the garden tapestries. Our yard around the log cabin is a mess so I need to figure out something!

A. Joy said...

Mildred - thanks for the info on the children's garden - that was really neat!
Mom - Looks like spring around your place with all the new lambs!
Susie - The tapestry idea is interesting - I can't think of anywhere I'd put something like that in my yard - but neat idea. The garden show always has so much to look at but I hear this is the last year they're having this particular one.
amc - I'd never heard or seen those live tapestries before. Yeah, this isn't the first run in with Ciscoe your brother has had and I guess he and the guys that went with him got some ribbing about going to a garden show for work!
Lanny - you notice the other two co workers are trying to blend into the background of the photo and not get too close!
Shellmo ~ Coming up with some landscape ideas for your cabin will be a fun project huh? Have you started pouring over magazines for ideas yet?
We're excited to start eating our blueberries and strawberries however I must admit - I'm not much of a canner - my mom does great in that department.

Connie said...

Those lucky doggies! What a wonderful new house--and they are going to get another one! Yumm--blueberries and strawberries! I hope you have a great crop! :D

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog, fotos familie , greeting from Belgium