Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Let's Play ...Spin That Genetic Wheel!

Here's how to play ~ Before having a baby, try your hand at spinning the wheel. Wherever it lands - that's what side of the family your baby will take after and more importantly - which member of that side of the family!
Okay, okay, so we all know that's not really how it works ~ God has a plan for each baby's genetic make up WAY before the child ever enters the world but it is almost like a fun little game to see what characteristics your child will inherit. Who's personality will they get? Who's coloring, who's impish grin, who's pointed left ear ( that would be myNorwegian side), who's long flat feet? ( that would be Birdy Balaku's side )
My mom used to say to my brother ( the one who tried her patience the most often ) " Some day you're going to have a kid just like you and then you'll see! " I always wondered how this would be fair to his wife?
Thankfully, Birdy Balaku ( BB ) and I were perfect children. Well, okay, almost perfect and I love everything about him so I would love for our children to turn out just like him but God has a sense of humour and thought we should try our hand at raising other members of our family so he made each of our children take after those other family members whether it be in their personality or looks or both. Here, for our family's enjoyment, are each of our children and the person they are most like
My Dad ( 0n the left here obviously ) and our oldest son CT. Both are quiet, gentle souls and their personalities are alike in too many ways to count but believe me, both of them are always on hand to supervise any project and are very good at convincing you they know something about just about everything.
Our oldest daughter KN and her Auntie. Now these two look alike, talk alike and have a shared appreciation for all things girlie!
Here is my Mom with our second daughter MN. They are more alike in looks, MN looks a lot like my Mom when she was a young girl shown in the photos below. They both love to talk, sleep in late, drink coffee and chomp chewing gum.
Now Little J is only four months old and has a lot of growing and changing to do but every day he reminds us more and more of his Papa P. Not only do they have similar looks but they are wonderful story tellers and are always so jolly!
We have the joy of raising my father, my mother, my sister in law and my father in law! Thankfully God chose people we love and enjoy when designing our children and who they would take after and I guess the lesson to be learned here is ~ whoever you are, watch yourself! Your brother, sister, son or daughter just might end up having to raise someone just like you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! It is interesting to see which similarities (looks & personality) that children will have to other family members. You have been blessed with a beautiful family. I always laughed when my mom would tell my brother, I hope your children worry you as much as you do me! I, like you, had no faults!!!ha ha

KathyB. said...

Great post ! I am constantly amazed at how much little J. is like your father-in-law, and little MN not only reminds me of me, but my sister Joni. Either way, you all are in for lots of entertainment. Good thing we have KN to cook and decorate for family events and CT is always ready to help his Poppa supervise.....all they need to do is agree with each other on the way things should go!

Anonymous said...

Quite thought-provoking! I've never considered who my boys are like other than like Tim or me. Great post!!! Paula W.

Anonymous said...

I love your comment about raising other members of our family--it is so true! :-D I never could get along with my sister growing up, and I have gotten a second chance at it in my daughter. I have to chuckle, more often than not, at God's sense of humor and irony. :-)

KathyB. said...

I want to add, the resemblance between KN and her Auntie Nette is truly amazing ! They also have the same little laugh and inflection in their voices ! Thanks again daughter. By the way, I haven't figured out who WE raised, except we are very thankful for the children God gave us !(Well, your brother David could be his Grandpa Burnson/ Grandpa Hartley )

Susie said...

What a cute family you have! Enjoyed much hearing little tidbits about your family members. It's interesting how they how characteristics of other family members other than you and your husband.

Wilson Clan said...

I love this post! The "genetic wheel" is so fascinating to me, and I love seeing this play out in your beautiful family!! This topic has been the center of many conversations between Adam and I. We can't wait to see what our Baby Wilson has in store. I just know the day Baby Wilson gives me "the look" that Adam gives me when I've done something I shouldn't, I know I'm in trouble! :)

A. Joy said...

Thanks Mildred - I wonder - did your brother end up with any that did give him worry? My brother ended up with four and all four are quite a bit like him though they are all girls!
kathyb. (mom ) you get to enjoy your little 'mini me' in person quite often and she just can't get enough of you!
paula ~ I guess some apples just don't fall from the tree. In our case it's like there were squirrels up there chucking our apples at other trees! You definitely got one you and one tim. ( Sorry Adam, no, I'm not calling you a girl. )
Megan~ All the more reason for yours to spend lots more quality time with her Auntie! Think of all the fun and surprises in store when your new little one joins your family!

~ Thanks Susie! None of mine really turned out much like me - yet. We'll see.
Wilson clan ~ it is so amazing how two people who look nothing alike can both see themselves in the same baby's face. Kind of like playing Mr. Potato Head - my eyes here, his nose, my chin but his cheeks etc...

Your RE Broker said...

=)hahaha A.Joy, you make me smile and laugh! It tickles me that KN is still showing traits of me...it might be God's humor to remind my brother of our childhood... =O Great post! I love reading about all the kids and the similarities they share. I'll pray that JJ doesn't get too much of papa's traits!!! LOL What a flirt he'll be!!!

Anonymous said...

I know! We are eager to see who he resembles, and have NO doubt we'll be able to pin him to one or more members of the family...after all, my adopted husband is (and this is genetically impossible, mind you) the spitting image of his dad's baby pictures!