Combine flour, sugar and shortening until the dough is the consistency of cornmeal.
Add the ice water and mix into soft dough with hands.
Roll dough out and cut into circles approximately 5 " in diameter. (A cooking pot lid makes a good cutter. )
Filling: 1 medium pumpkin or 1 29oz can of pumpkin.
3 cups brown sugar, 3 cups white sugar, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice.
We've found that the pastry dough makes about 20 - 22 turnovers and the filling recipe fills about 50 turnovers. We always have a lot of filling leftover so you may want to cut that recipe in half.
If using a whole pumpkin, peel it and cut into chunks. Cover with water in pan and cook over medium heat. Drain well.
Mix mashed pumpkin with sugars and spices.
Place 1 Tablespoon filling into each pastry circle. Fold pastry circle over in half and seal with a fork.

Poke holes in each turnover for steam to escape. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.

Who needs to light a pumpkin spice scented candle when you can make these and eat them too!
5 comments:
What a good cooking post for your family blog ! Hey girls, I've got to make lefse for the Norwegian side of the family . Want to help ? love, Grandma
I think you have some little "Martha Stewart's" in the making! Looks like they had a lot of fun and I can imagine the house smelled nice and cozy.
Karli, thank you for introducing Uncle Tom and me (Nina Joni) to Pastit. They were delicious. You are quite the baker!
Love,
Nina Joni
I have an award to pass along to you at my blog entitled "Thank You." Hope you had a great weekend!
Thank you Mildred for the award!
I love visiting your blog each day while my young ones are napping. I've never been to your area of our country and your photos give me a peek into it's lovliness.
Post a Comment