Monday, April 13, 2009

Egg Laying Rabbits?

Our good friend Lanny did a post on her blog a few months back about a prank she and my mom pulled at the county fair involving a dead chick and the cat barn. She reminded my mom of one of the many pranks I was involved in during my 4 - H years and my mom then reminded me and suggested it might be a good one to jot down during this Easter time of year. From the age of 9 all the way to 19 I spent every summer at community, county and state fairs showing many types of animals in both 4 - H and FFA. The most fascinating part of spending a lot of your life at fairs is the people watching and seeing some of the absurd things people will believe. ( Or wear for that matter! ) One of these summers at our county fair I showed both poultry and rabbits and we snuck a few chicken eggs down to the rabbit barn and into our own rabbit's cages. Then, with herdsmanship apron on and broom in hand and my pin which said " Have A Question? Ask Me! " I'd stand around observing. Some of the public would walk on by - either not noticing the egg laying rabbit or just thinking that is a normal occurrence. Then a child would walk by and spot the egg - " Look Mommy! That bunny laid an egg! " (Mommy ) " Oh yeah ..... " ( turn to her husband ) " Do rabbits lay eggs? " ( Husband ) " Well, I guess, I mean ... there's the Easter bunny so..... Yeah. " It was always fun to report back to our friends about all of the stupid things people would say and how many of them would actually believe the rabbit had laid the egg. However, I don't think these people were actually stupid - just misinformed ( thanks to me! ) and I guess when you don't spend much time studying or learning about something - you'll believe whatever people tell you about it - for example, for years I 'rooted' for the Washington Redskins because I thought they represented our state of Washington. I didn't find out my mistake until a car ride with my husband where the topic was brought up and he was left laughing at my stupidity. Ok - so I'm not a football fan and don't pay much attention to anything having to do with football! Back to eggs ~ growing up out here in the country we had a neighbor boy who, mind you - even raised chickens and spent his life in the country - one day during a poultry 4-H practice day he was asked why do mama hens sit on their baby chicks? To which he answered - " to nurse them. " My mom just commented last night - "Can you imagine having to bottle feed all of your incubator chicks because they had no mama hen to ' nurse' them? " ( And no, rabbits do not lay eggs. )

5 comments:

Susie said...

Cute post and funny story. Love that little egg laying bunny! She's so cute!

KathyB. said...

You're such a good story teller! I think you should tell some of the stories of your 6 months experience on an Australian sheep station!

Weren't those summers at the fairs fun?

Your RE Broker said...

hahaha hehehe Another great post! Very nice rabbit pic, and story. Thanks for the giggle...I can picture my brother's face when he found out you thought the Redskins represented our State...priceless I'm sure. I thought the same at one point as well...

Lanny said...

Oh Autumn, they say you should't go to bed after exercising, how about after you laugh so hard you need your inhaler! Okay cough up the name of the nursing chicken raiser, I gotta know that one.

Connie said...

HA! Very cute story! So playing pranks is apparently an inherited trait. :D