Thursday, April 9, 2009

For All My Peeps

There are two kinds of people in the world ~ those that like marshmallow Peeps and those that don't. Note to the Easter Bunny: This is what an Easter basket for my mother should look like with, perhaps, some jelly beans scattered around on the bottom. ( She likes those too. ) For Christmas 2001, my husband and I made a cookbook for every member of my dad's side of the family. We instructed each member to send us a recipe for their very favorite food. Would you like to know what my mother's contribution to this cook book was? " Stale Marshmallow Peeps." Her recipe on the card: " Buy many packs of Marshmallow Peeps. Let packs sit out opened for awhile. Eat when stale. " As kids, we'd get up Easter morning to find our pretty Easter baskets sitting on the table. Inside there would be a hollow chocolate rabbit, some jelly beans, some of those whoppers candies that look like robin's eggs and three marshmallow peeps. Not three packs, just three little chicks or bunnies. Mom would've opened the packs early and already eaten the others - or maybe put them aside to go stale. I have tried roasting Peeps over the campfire and don't recommend it unless you like the taste of burnt rubber. ( All that sugar on the outside just burns. ) Isn't it weird the way the different colors seem to taste different even though it's all just sugar in different colors? I like the new orange ones this year and I'm just positive I'll be able to taste a hint of tangerine in those! You can take a photo tour of the Peeps factory HERE! Do you like Peeps and if so, what is your favorite shape and color?

9 comments:

Susie said...

I have never been a big fan of them. But I do think they are awfully cute! Love all the colors.

Anonymous said...

I have never liked these but like Susie, I think they are so cute. Cute story about your Mom raiding your Easter baskets when you were little!

Wilson Clan said...

I LOVE stale PEEPS!!!!!! I look forward to Easter every year just so I can open a box and have it sit on my counter, at which point, Adam goes, "OH MAN!" It's truly fantastic. I also like blowing up PEEPS in the microwave. The mega PEEP marshmellow. Oh yum. I must go buy Peeps now. :)

Your RE Broker said...

hahahahahahaha I'm still giggling at the thought of you and your brothers each getting 3 peeps in your baskets...for sure the Easter bunny (or your mom) ate them. hehehe :) I was never crazy about peeps but used to eat some...now I'm an ingredient FREAK. :( If it has gelatin or guar gum, I don't eat it. :(

Your RE Broker said...

I should clarify that I was laughing more at the vision in my head of your mom eating the extra peeps that didn't make it to your baskets...my post sounded a bit corny. I don't think this is any better. Arg...

CaroltheRose said...

haha I'm more of a chocolate on easter kinda girl. my mom wouldnt let us eat sugar when we were little, so when we finally got to taste things like ding dongs and peeps...they made us sick! lol.

I like your quote, yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery...I have one similar that I found that I loved. its an old eskimo proverb, "yesterday is ashes, tomorrow is wood. only today burns brightly."

A. Joy said...

Susie and Mildred ~ you would both be in the same people group as my husband. He thinks peeps are gross but tried one again last year just to see what the hype was about and if maybe his taste buds had changed - at which point he gagged.
Wilson Clan ~ After your comment here I think my mom might want to adopt you as her first daughter and I shall become a distant 2nd. =)
amc ~ I knew exactly what you meant in your first comment. =)
I wonder if Love Bug will like peeps next year???? If his mama lets him try!
Carol ~ I love the Eskimo proverb!!! I like peeps but can only eat about 3 before they're just too much and I prefer them very fresh. Chocolate was always a no go for me because of the tummy ache thing. =(

Connie said...

HA HA HA! Your mom's recipe made me laugh.


I really do not care for peeps. My mom would put them in our baskets every year except I never ate them. They would turn stale and hard and then we'd throw them out. I don't know why she kept buying them every year. HA!

Your RE Broker said...

lolol I can't believe my brother gagged when he tried them (again)...or maybe I shouldn't be so surprised considering his love for cheese! NOT! And your mom's recipe for the cookbook is priceless. :)