Those sneaky cucumbers! We've been checking our plants all week and didn't find any cucumbers to pick. My husband actually bought a couple cucumbers at the store. Then our son went hunting in the garden and pulled out one giant cucumber after another. 27 in all. They apparently grew cloaking devices this year. They're very smart cucumbers!

One of our favorite things to do with cucumbers is make cucumber salad. Here is the recipe we use:
2 cucumbers peeled and sliced.
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Mix together in bowl and toss cucumbers until all are coated. Eat now or cover and keep in fridge for up to 2 days.
Optional: chopped green bell pepper, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1 red pepper chopped fine.
7 comments:
That sounds like a great salad on a hot summer evening. Nalley has a few cucumbers on his plants and I will definitely make this. Thanks!
Okay, my jealousy is flaring up. I don't have cucumbers, hidden or otherwise. I can't figure out what the deal is with my cuke plants (they are in the garden by the barn) They look like they are a week old. So when I go to do pickles with Blind Pig and the Acorn on the 10th I will be using purchased pickling cucumbers. Mmmm for my birthday can I have a bushel of Yakima Cukes?
Good job CT on hunting out those cloaked cukes!
Mildred ~ it is a nice, easy, cold salad to have along with anything!
Lanny ~ We would be more than happy to send over some cucumbers if you want! Maybe yours are invisible to the adult eye as well?
We're still waiting on tomatoes.
Those sneaky cukes. Maybe their stealth contributes to their tasty flavor...and also kept them hidden from slugs until they were perfect for picking.Thank-you for sharing your bounty with us.
My cucumbers are late. the summer has been very cool, the second coldest summer on record. I have had a few beans and potatoes but no cukes yet.
Once you had a fresh one from the garden they never taste as good from the store.
You are absolutely right; they can be very hard to find in all the foliage. We didn't plant any this year. I love them fixed the way you said; wish I had fresh. It tastes so different from what you get at the store. You can taste the sunshine when you grow them:)
Enjoy! Summer will be coming to an end before too long.
Deb
Cucumbers and zucchini have always amazed me at how fast they can grow. Looks like you're going to have a bumper crop. :D
Post a Comment