Knock Knock! Who's there? It's Grandpa! Grandpa Who? Grandpa B. with Berry Nucoa Nuts for you!
That was tonight. We've been running errands all day in the frozen but sunny weather so all of the driving will be done before the reported snow storm hits tonight. We just got in from Tae kwon do class, were grabbing a quick cup of coffee and hurrying KN along on finishing the two pages in her piano lesson theory book that she forgot to do all week before heading back out in the dark to the actual piano lessons up in the hills. ( roads were fine mom! )
There was a loud knocking on our door and when opened, there was my grandpa ~ who I don't think would mind my telling ~ is almost 82 years young. He, too, was getting his errands done before the snow storm and had my Christmas gift to drop off! You see, my grandpa and now my dad too, make these little cookies called Berry Butternuts every year during Christmas time. When I was 23 I discovered I am extremely allergic to all things made with milk. My grandpa LOVES to bring treats to everyone - he even stocks the trunk of his car with doggy biscuits and all the family dogs know him and love when he comes for a visit! Well, a major part of a 'Berry Butternut' is ... butter! It meant so much to him that I not miss out on enjoying holiday treats ,that ten years ago ( gosh, I didn't realize it'd been that long already! ), he found out that I could use the NUCOA brand of margarine because it has zero dairy products in it and he made a special batch of Berry butternuts just for me. He makes sure to emphasize that they're called Berry Nucoanuts ( he says it like - Berry Nooka Nuts which makes me smile. ) He's delivered a BIG container full of them to my house every year just before Christmas ever since! He always makes sure to point out how he ' messed them up this year so they probably won't be as good ' but every year they're perfect I just ate two and ... nope - no complaints here! My husband doesn't complain either and the no cookie is ever around long enough to go stale.
8 comments:
You know he loves you when he will brave a drive in the ice and darkness to deliver cookies he baked especially for you!What a Grandpa!
Your Dad made his Berry Butternuts last night and is going to be my "guest blogger", and give his recipe, with pictures he took !And yes, his are BUTTERnuts.
What a dear your Grandpa is to make a batch just for you Joy. I had an aunt who would always say about her pies, "well, I have made better!" I know you will enjoy those during these busy, happy days.
Oh I love your grandpa! He sounds like such a sweet and wonderful man. Mine has been gone for a long time now so give yours a hug for me and enjoy your cookies!
How sweet is he??? I love that he took the time to make a special batch so you can still be included in his annual gift giving. Those cookies look so yummy!!!
I've been enjoying reading your blog ever since we found out you had one!!! We have one too, but we keep our profile private. I think your mom has the address though.
And isn't Grandpa B. the best? My mom LOVES his peanut brittle...
Hey Autumn, Love your blog...we sure don't do it as often as you. Would love to talk to you about something....need your e-mail address. Mine is jdevlieger76@yahoo.com. E-mail me!!!
A.Joy, you've been tagged!Check it out at my spot.You will like my picture.
Oh, if only Grandpa was on the internet he could see all the wonderful things said about him! I'll pass them along.
~ Mom, oh good, I was hoping Dad would give the recipe!
Yes Mildred, Grandpa is a bery modest man and will always point out any flaw in everything he makes!
Susie - I will for sure give my grandpa a hug because my grandpa Loves hugs and we are never allowed to forget to hug grandpa when we see him!
amc ~ I'm sure there will be some cookies left when you come over for Christmas Eve. =)
Phil and Callie ~ Ahhhh - the peanut brittle - those were the days. Grandpa makes the best!
I'll get your blog address from my mom!
Hey Jill! Loved your blog too! Okay - I'm emailing you in a minute!
Post a Comment