Friday, January 23, 2009

And He's Off!

I'm pretty sure Little J is feeling like He's king of the world right now ~ or at least the living room, dining room, kitchen and maybe the hallway? He's learned to crawl over the last two weeks and finally one of the big, top front teeth giving him all this pain and suffering decided to pop out and say 'Hello everybody!' Today I had a mountain of laundry to fold so I dumped it all on the couch, put the older three kids down for a nap ( just one of those days ) and the little mister here, who had no intention of falling asleep all day, well, I let him explore. He has an entire section of the living room to himself. Wonderful, colorful bright shiny toys that make noise and do fun things are piled up in his baby zone. We removed all of the landscape and gardening books from our book shelf in the living room and replaced them with hard, baby teeth proof books just for him.

I stood there and folded laundry after setting him loose on the just vacuumed floors. My oldest son, when given the opportunity to explore his surroundings as a baby or toddler, would sit at my feet and grab my pant legs, begging to be picked up. Not Little J. He'd rather get as far from me as possible. .... Who wants baby toys? Let's check out the kitchen. Hey THAT looks fun! He helped me close the refrigerator door while I was putting away lunch. Then he rounded the island counter a couple of times and searched for crumbs under the table.

Oh wait - what's that? A secret passageway?

Little J! Where are you? Hmmm, looks like it's time to put up the newly purchased baby gate!
What I didn't get pictures of was, this evening, his daddy peeking through the gate from the other side and Little J trying his hardest to figure out how to get himself squeezed through the little holes. Then he tried pulling himself over it, then tried pulling himself up against the wall next to the gate - I'm sure he'll figure a way through it somehow very soon but for now it's doing the job AND ( big bonus here ) keeping Tater Bird Dog from staring and whining at the turtle all day.

10 comments:

KathyB. said...

I wonder if I will be seeing him walk any day now? He's so eager to keep up with all the family activity that there will be no holding him back. Good thing he is so good-natured and happy. What a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby! These photos are wonderful. I always laugh out loud when you mention Tater and that turtle! Have a good weekend.

CaroltheRose said...

That is the funniest post! I cant wait to see him. He was a bump last time i was in wa. I love how individual each kid is. I only have two but in some ways they dont even seem related!

Susie said...

My goodness he is a little explorer isn't he? He's such a cutie! I remember when one of my nieces was little she wanted to pull everything out of her grandma's cabinets. She could easily entertain herself forever doing that.

Lanny said...

Go little J go!

Your RE Broker said...

hahaha I can just imagine him crawling super fast to get where he wants to go before being stopped! He looks so adorable and like he's having the time of his life. :)

Connie said...

Oh such a cutie-pie! Look at that smile! This post brought back some wonderful memories for me of when my sons were babies and getting into everything. I have a photo of one of my boys inside one of my kitchen cupboards peering out. He had pulled all the pots and pans out of there and then climbed in to look around. HA HA! Enjoy these moments. They will zip by quickly. :)

A. Joy said...

Mom ~ I hope he doesn't start walking anytime soon! I haven't baby proofed the house that high off the ground yet!
Mildred ~ Yes, the Tater/ Turtle thing is comical but it's becoming ridiculous! She stares and whines at the turtle the entire time she's allowed inside which is most of the time now while the weather is cold.
Carol ~ You can relate to this post I'm sure! You practically have two going through the same stages at the same time! Give them hugs for us please!
Susie ~ well, we think he's cute. His big sisters and brother think he's the cutest ever. I've always kept my tupperware containers in the lowest cabinet or drawer so that is the one they're allowed to get all into when the kids are in the baby/ toddler stage.
Lanny ~ you make a good cheerleader! Getting ready for the superbowl???? =)
amc ~ yeah, he doesn't much like being stopped, unless it's time to eat. I'd tell any new parent - the most important item you should buy when getting ready to have kids is - a vacuum. Extremely valuable!
Susie ~ why is it that babies like to play with the grown ups dishes best and big kids and grown ups love to play with the baby's toys?
Give a baby a plastic lid and a measuring cup - they'll keep busy for hours!

A. Joy said...

Oops! I meant the last comment for Daisy but typed Susie. Sorry! I know who you are! Really!

Connie said...

Autumn, I knew what you meant. No apology necessary. HA! You can call me anything but late for supper---that's something my Dad used to say. ;-) ha ha! Have a good day! :D