Friday, January 23, 2009

Tomato Sauce-less Pizza

This is an easy one. We usually make our pizzas from scratch because of the whole 'I can't eat regular cheese' thing. Plus it's cheaper. We first made this one without tomato sauce because I'd run out of sauce on the first pizza and had to do something for the second crust I'd made. It turned out really good and the kids actually prefer this one to the tomato sauce one. For the dough I just use my basic pizza dough recipe that came with my bread machine. Nothing fancy and you may have a better one you'd prefer to use. 1 1/2 cup warm water, 2 Tbl. olive oil, 4 - 1/4 cup all purpose flour , 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. sugar , 2 tsp. dry yeast , I add all of this to my bread machine and it does the work for me. When it comes out of the bread machine it is a big ball of dough which I divide in half and work each ball into a large enough circle to cover my pizza pans. ( I haven't perfected the art of throwing the pizza dough into a perfect circle yet! ) I pour about 1/4 cup olive oil onto dough and brush it all over. Then I like to cut some cheese into skinny strips and lay them around the edges of the pizza and then fold the edges of the dough over the cheese to make a cheese filled crust. In this photo I've shown part of the dough rolled over the cheese on the edges. Next I sprinkle garlic powder, basil ( dry or fresh ), red pepper flakes and a tiny bit of cayenne pepper ( optional ) all over to season the pizza Then layer on your toppings. We like to put chopped artichoke hearts, olives, chopped bell pepper, chopped pepperoni slices, sliced mushrooms and grated cheese. ( We use the aged over 2 years white cheddar. ) Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until done in the center. ( This is what ours looks like before it's baked. )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, This looks delicious. I am not a fan of tomato sauce, so this is perfect for me. I may just have to invest in a bread machine. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Your RE Broker said...

I'm with Mildred on this...time to invest in a bread machine! This looks like too much fun and too delish to pass up. :) Thank you for sharing your many adventures! Love them all!

Susie said...

Your recipe sounds delish. I like how you get all fancy with your cheesy crust. I had rather have pizza with very little or no tomato sauce so this sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

That sound really good. I bet the cheese in the crust makes it extra good. YUM! :D