Monday, January 26, 2009

Veg Garden Year 1

Last year we were finally ready to start our first vegetable garden on this property. My husband got the beds ready in February and March and we got the kids out to help rake them level and pick up Washington Potatoes ( better known to others as rocks. ) Then it was plantin' time. The girls are holding up the Russian Gold potatoes for the camera before planting them. After showing them how to plant the potatoes and flower bulbs they each picked out, 'Daddy' let the kids do it themselves.

This bed was just for the flowers. Sunflowers, Carnations, Gladiolas. ( above )Our garden grew. I'm the 'water girl'. I love it. It gets me outside in the hot sun in the morning to warm up ( I'm always cold.) Not to mention I get to play with water!

During the first part of the summer my husband installed the irrigation system. Now I just have to turn on the switch and remember to turn it off. Whatever will I do this year with all of my free 'not watering' time??

'Little Boy Blue, come blow your horn. The cow's in the meadow, the kid's in the corn.'Here is a bowl full of some of the produce we grew in our garden, along with a blackberry pie I was making from the wild blackberries my kids picked and brought in that evening from our yard.

A list of what we grew last year: Green onions, Bok Choy ( Chinese cabbage), broccoli, cauliflower, purple cabbage, romaine lettuce, dwarf red bell peppers, chocolate bell peppers, jalapenos, carrots, several varieties of cherry tomatoes ( which by the way made an excellent sauce ) and large tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, potatoes, corn, thyme, carrots and cantaloupe.

Noe it's almost time to do it all over again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made me hungry this morning. All your veggies look so pretty. What a great family project your garden is. These "lessons" will be memories for your kids for the rest of their lives. I know the girls already enjoy helping in the kitchen. I bet you do a lot of stir fry recipes with some of the vegs. you grow.

Lanny said...

It is so exciting to think of gardening again. Pruning, lambs and seed starting. I love gardening with children.

The water thing. That's tough, I love to water too (one of my favorite jobs) but it can eat up a lot of time.

Susie said...

Aren't you glad it's almost time to do it all over again? I know I am! It looks like you had a very productive garden. How wonderful!

The one chore you like(watering)I'm not into that one as much. Take lots of time without irrigation.

Your RE Broker said...

Your tomatoes are the best we've ever eaten! Your garde is so purdy!!! =)

Gooseshooter said...

Hey, Autumn, I don't think I ever said thank you for the wonderful red cabbages you brought us last fall, not to mention the delicious tomatoes. I found a great recipe with sauteed red cabbage and sausage that was wonderful, so we ate quite a few dinners of that. I'm jealous of your large vegetable garden! Many thanks to you and your sweet husband!
~Kathleen

A. Joy said...

Thank you Mildred. The best way to teach someone is to get them out there and have them do it themselves! The kids love it and it makes eating vegetables more fun when you planted them yourself!
Yes Lanny, I agree, it's exciting to think of what we'll plant this year! That is the down side to watering - it is super time consuming!
I CANNOT wait Susie, for the spring weather to start up and begin working outside! I've always preferred working outdoors than in! I still have plenty of landscape gardens to water all summer and boy does it take up most of the morning!
I gotta agree with you amc, I LOVED our little orange cherry tomatoes best - I just finished off the last of the sauce I made out of them! Hopefully we'll have lots to give you this year too!
Kathleen - You are SO welcome. Would you believe it - we still have two of those cabbages growing out in the garden right now! ( Along with a few green onions and some tiny carrots. ) Don't know how great they would all taste after being frozen under the snow though??

Connie said...

What fun to get the whole family involved in the garden work. You had a good harvest too! The kids will learn a lot by getting to help out with this. :-)

KathyB. said...

I hope you have more pictures of your garden from last summer and fall because your garden was not only beautiful, but extremely lush with produce! We too enjoyed abundant tomatoes, and cabbages and a bouquet or 2 from your garden!

Anonymous said...

You inspire me! You have a lot more land than we do, but I DO have a great big yard in comparison to most around here, and a ready dug plot for veggies that the last owner left...and a smaller one right outside my kitchen! I've done tomatoes every year, but I think it's high time I tried my hand at lettuce and green beans, and maybe a few other things too. :-)