Friday, June 5, 2009

Baby Fruit Trees

After five years of living here we finally got some fruit trees planted. Here we have an apple tree and we're hoping the small amount of honey bees who visit our yard, found our apple blossoms.
One thing that did find our baby apple trees are the gangster bunnies that come storming in after dusk each night. They took out two of our newly planted trees ~ chewed them right in half.
We tightened up the fencing around the rest of the trees and they seem to be safe for now.
Anyone seen the old movie " Night of the Leapus???? " Giant rabbits taking over the world?
We were reading in Genesis the other evening and came across this interesting tidbit on the side bar of our children's Bible ~
"The law of Moses declared that for the first three years after a tree was planted, its fruit was forbidden. In the fourth year, the fruit belonged to God, and it was only after five years that people could eat the tree's fruit. Fruit trees were so valuable that even during war, special efforts were made to protect them. Figs, grapes, dates and olives are all important crops, but citrus fruits did not come in until New Testament times." One of our new peach trees.

9 comments:

KathyB. said...

Very interesting , I never thought to look up fruit trees in the Bible, now I will pay closer attention. I wonder if there is some should application to this in the believers' life.....

Gangster rabbits! Funny!

Wilson Clan said...

I'm just catching up on your blog...and it looks like you've all been having so much fun! :)

Connie said...

Although I'm sorry they are eating your fruit trees, the line about gangster bunnies made me laugh. I imagined them wearing trench coats and those old-style mafia hats and standing around under a street lamp planning their next heist. HA! I hope you will be able to keep them out in the future.

LindaSue said...

we had gangsta deer - same principle - we buy expensive fruit trees - they nibble them off. Fascinating Bible information - so much practical knowledge in the O.T. - part of it being - things should be allowed to grow without being expected to bear fruit for us - not everything is about us getting fruit some things are about us tending the trees until they are matured to yield a harvest - IMHO - sorry about the soap box tendency!

Susie said...

I hope the animals stay out of your trees. That's very interesting regarding the fruit trees in bibical days.

Terri said...

Good luck with your trees. We have a baby apple and a baby peach, and I'd like to add a pear and a plum to the mix! Oh, and a fig tree, but its survival is still up in the air - it doesn't much like our cold. :)

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Joy,
Good luck with your fruit trees. I just found your blog and it is great. Please visit my blog and leave a comment: http://blueridgepoet.blogspot.com

Lanny said...

Durn blasted bunnies! Tree chewing rodents! I lost one of my very own grafted little apple trees this winter to "hibernating" rodentia of some sort. errrrr. Being a gardener could turn a person into an animal despiser. I am glad you were able to save the rest with a little tree wrapping.

And I whole heartedly agree with LS's soapboxing. Thanks for the OT tidbit A.Joy!

PS word verification "barie"

"With this fence I barie you from eating my tree." or "If you eat my other trees I will barie you!

A. Joy said...

Hey! Our little apple trees have lots of little apples all over them now! Of course, I believe we'll be picking them all off before they mature so there will be better harvest next year and bigger trees.
LindaSueBuhl ~ feel free to get on your soapbox any time over here! Love it!
Daisy ~ I think I've actually seen the bunnies going around 'tagging' young trees to be taken out at night and they've definitely graffiti'd up my hostas!!!
Terri ~ we'll be seeing how our peach trees go as things around here don't much like our cold either. Ooooh - a fig tree would be interesting to try!
Lanny ~ we might just have to dig fox holes next to each little tree and post CT out there with a pellet gun each evening - or get more cats...
I love it that you let us know what the word verification is - I always find them funny and often fitting to the posts I'm commenting on too!