Monday, June 15, 2009

Making Root Beer

Woo Hoo! The root beer is done! One of CT's Christmas presents was a root beer making kit. So, on New Year's day, he and his dad made root beer!
Root Beer is CT's favorite drink and he just couldn't wait to drink his homemade root beer!
The package said it would be ready to drink in 2 weeks. So .... they opened one bottle and gave it a taste. Yuck! It was not good! After consulting with Grandpa who'd made it before and said you should wait at least 2 months ... we waited and they tried it again. Yuck! Not even fizzy!
Oh ~ it's so hard to wait! Finally, last week, 6 months after the root beer was made, CT decided to give it another try ....
It's fizzy!!! It's great!!! Let's have root beer floats! And so, he did.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun gift and that float looks delicious!

Debbie said...

Thank goodness! I absolutely adore root beer; though I've never made it. I usually like that with hamburgers and fries. I never thought about making my own. Great project for kids!

Shelley said...

What a neat gift - glad the root beer turned out!!

KathyB. said...

Hip hip hooray for root beer floats!

Susie said...

Oh he looks so happy in his picture. How neat that they did that together.

Wobegon Cottage said...

I remember when my dad made that root beer but don't remember what it tasted like, I can't remember root beer floats either...that is a neat gift maybe we should make some Wobegon Trail root beer and compare notes. I love watching your children grow.

A. Joy said...

All of the kids gave the root beer floats a thumbs up. They had fun making it and have ideas on how to make it better next time. I want them to try making sasparilla. Is that how you spell it? I loved it in Australia. If they get a good recipe it might make good gifts?

Debbie said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm well acquainted with your mom and a great fan of her posts. Your idea is wise. No need buying two and it's always more fund to procure and to grind wheat with someone! I have no doubt she would gladly share:=D Or drop by later and sneak a loaf!

Lanny said...

yeah! Root beer is the only pop Anna will drink. And Dirt has made it in the past with the extract, I want to try it with real herbs and roots. Which way was your last batch made?

Your RE Broker said...

Yay for yummy rootbeer floats with homemade rootbeer! What a great family thing to do...the wheels are turning for ideas!!! =D

A. Joy said...

Lanny ~ all of our supplies came from Beer Essentials and we used the tiny extract package. The real root and herbs would be fun!

Connie said...

Wow! Six months is a long time to wait! Chalk that up as a lesson in patience. I'm glad it finally turned out right. I love root beer floats. :)