Thursday, June 11, 2009

On With the Camping!

Well, in spite of all of the forgotten items and rainy weather, we did have some fun on our camping trip! We sat and fished and even though we didn't get any bites this time, the practice was good for the kids. They can now bait their hooks and cast their own lines so , less work for Daddy!
We had two nests of wild ducks with lots of fuzzy little ducklings living at the edge of our campsite. We saw a Bald Eagle swoop down into the campground, pick up a huge, fat Marmot and fly very low across the campground with it until it finally dropped the marmot into some bushes. We walked around the western town and got ice cream cones, candy and lattes! There was a spectacular lightning storm ~ just look at those dark clouds looming over the hills as the kids are riding bikes! We got inside the cozy tent trailer just in time and played checkers, old maid and finished reading the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia. We were also very thankful that we were not crammed into a tent this time while it rained like the people next to us! And, best of all, Little J was on the outside of my belly this year and had a blast riding in his stroller in the wind! He squealed and held his arms up like he was in a roller coaster every time the wind blew on his face.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun and I love seeing the scenery in the background. Hope you all are enjoying being outside this Summer. The baby is growing so fast; I bet you have trouble keeping up!

Lanny said...

Nothing like a thunderstorm on the east side!

The kids appear to be very sad that they had to sit on those saddles and eat ice cream!

KathyB. said...

Winthrop is a picture book pretty place to stay, we are going to have to go there soon!The kids are really a lot of fun , aren't they?

Susie said...

Looks like a great camping trip to me. I wouldn't mind sitting on a saddle and eating ice cream myself!

Anna Colleen said...

Little J is just too cute.

My mom says that I have been to that lake but I don't remember that trip at all. So I think we need to go back.

Wobegon Cottage said...

Now..if you really want to see a thunder storm and some unbelievable lightening and ear deafening thunder come out to Wobegon for a visit in July or Aug. I still can't sleep thru them but it is a little better. We have a nice campground by the river but you would probably get eaten up by bugs and the accommodations at the cottage are much better. Bunkbeds for the girls-playpen for little J and a tent in the family room for Cole..he needs his own space being the oldest and all.Oh yes and your own room...queen size bed.

Debbie said...

Our best family memories were made on trips similar to yours. The things that went wrong only made funnier memories. How good it is to see a family making memories.
Yes, I remember some wet trips!

Connie said...

One reason I never liked to fish much is I hate baiting the hook with a live worm. Yuck! HA!
I love that last photo of Little J! So cute! :D

Wilson Clan said...

A trip to Winthrop! Lots of fun! It looks like you all had such a good time! Both Adam and I can't believe how big Little J is!!! :)

Shelley said...

Looks like a fun trip! How amazing to have seen that eagle too!!

audrey y said...

My first visit to your site as I am still learning to get around in here.

Thank you for the interest and encouragement.

I'm so glad you are sharing some of your family's memories with us. I could watch those beautiful kids all day long.

Someday I may figure out how to be a follower of your blog

Love,

Audrey